iPhone 6 sporadically discharging while plugged in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justinmiller, Nov 7, 2014.

1. justinmiller macrumors newbie

So this is a bit of a weird one, but I just got an iPhone 6 and I just noticed that when in the car, with the phone plugged into the USB port and streaming music over pandora, my phone sometimes discharges instead of charges. I also notice that the back of the phone is warm to the touch when this is all going down.

My first thoughts were that it was 1) the phone, 2) the cable, 3) or the usb connector in the car. So when I got home, I tried a different cable in the wall charger, both with the iPad charger and the supplied charger. I tried with both cables. At first, I couldn't reproduce the problem with any combination of charger and cable. So I thought it might be the car. I then tried it one more time and I was able to reproduce with the supplied charger, but the iPad charger still worked. Which makes some sense because its 2.1a (or whatever).

I also also tried the above combination with my wife's iPhone 6 (bought the same day, same size) but couldn't reproduce the issue.

So it seems to be an issue with my phone, not the cable or my car. I'll say that it appears sporadically though. Because later I tried again with my phone and all was fine. Also I've never had a problem charging over night using the iPad charger.

So do we think I have a problem with my phone/battery? Could any of this be by design? Should I take the phone back to Apple this weekend?

Has anyone else has this problem?

Thanks,
    Justin

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think that you are exceeding the charge rate while using your phone plugged in and it will show not charging for that reason. As long as it is charging while not using it, you are good.

3. justinmiller thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

All I'm doing though is streaming Pandora (albeit high quality Pandora). I've never had a problem with this before on previous phones. And also, it doesn't do it all the time. I'd say a good portion of the time, it charges fine while streaming music.

It's possible some other app/process has gone all Jack Bauer (rogue) in the background and is causing excessive use, which would support your point.

Justin

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Your iPhone has an issue. Return it and get a new one mate.