iPhone 6 starting at $299

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luckydcxx, Mar 14, 2014.

1. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

With the trend towards non-subsidized pricing, I think a lot of folks might be less inclined to pay for a device with a $750 price tag. At the very least, base model would have to be 32GB for this to be even palatable for a lot of current iPhone users.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

0% chance of that happening. Apple won't let their sales flounder by raising the subsidized price of their phone above everyone else.

5. mantan macrumors 68000

If carriers continue to push away from the subsidized model, I wonder if it'll be the opposite. The overwhelming majority of new users are going pay the unsubsidized price over time. On a program like AT&T Next, the difference between a $649 and $750 phone is about $4-$5 a month. And with no money down, people who want it will shrug it off and pay the extra price.

Where I think sales will be softer is that a lot of users will be less inclined to upgrade immediately and pay an extra fee at all. When the monthly service price was the same, it was easier to justify the $200-$300 to get the new release. Now people will ask if it's really worth the extra $25-$45 a month to get the latest/greatest.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

But then you also have to take into account that Verizon doesn't really want to switch from the subsidised model and they even think it's a mistake to abandon that model. So at least for now since Verizon is the largest US carrier, their influence will keep the subsidised model around for the foreseeable future. (this is all in reference to within the US. Afaik European carriers more commonly use the full phone price rather than subsidies)

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/10/verizon-subsidized-plans/

7. Serban Suspended

i think and want iPhone 6 to start from 299$ on 2 year contract and 759$ without for 16GB model. That sapphire protection for 4.7" screen, maybe bezel free these 3 things makes him stand ahead of the competition by build and materials. i Don't think is faire iPhone 6 to have same price like a Samsung S5

8. easy-peasy macrumors regular

So you actually want the iPhone 6 to be more expensive? Interesting...

9. Serban Suspended

yes but only if will be the first smartphone with bezel free, sapphire glass and the most compact 4.7" smarphone

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I want to know what sort of data an analyst uses to come up with conclusions like this...

11. aneftp macrumors 601

It all depends if verizon and ATT collude to both have the $299 base price subsidized.

Don't you think it's collusion all the carriers have the base iPhone at $199 subsidized for the past 3 years since ATT lost it's exclusive contract?

Why do all the carriers set the $199 price for 2 year contract?

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Wasn't Apple the one who set pricing?

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I seen that in yahoo the other day. I think yahoo is stupid they can't do that. There's no way apple can do that

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

It's not unheard of. They've gone this route with the iPod Touch a few times.

15. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Very unlikely now that the cell phone companies are no longer offering subsides

16. mantan macrumors 68000

Interesting article. It holds true to form that Verizon isn't up to the risk of removing subsidies. The current model generates a set revenue for every iPhone regardless of whether or not it's still being subsidized.

AT&T is taking a chance by letting customers finally allowing customers with non subsidized devices to pay a lower service rate. Then they doubled down by essentially letting people out of their subsidized cost if they transfer to their new plans that require using Next. I can see a lot of customers enjoying that $15/month rate and holding off upgrades and/or hitting the secondary market instead of buying a new device.

17. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Not going to happen. Subsidizing may start to slowly go away it's going to be around for a while. Having the iPhone 33% more expensive on contract will result in a hit to sales.

18. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

wouldn't care if it meant 32gb was base price, i was planning on getting that capacity anyways.

19. mantan macrumors 68000

I guess my one issue would be that if the base price goes to $299/$749, it's Apple once again giving the middle finger to it's customer base. Flash memory prices have plunged since the 3GS. Moving the base memory to $32 would cost Apple less than $10 a unit. Asking users who are happy with 16 gig to cough up another $90 in gravy for Apple is pretty *****ty.

20. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

IF this were to happen nobody is holding a gun to your head and telling you to buy it....

If it doesn't interest you or you can't afford it, keep what you have or find something else.

21. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I hope it's as expensive as possible at launch to make us early adopters more special and stand out from the masses who won't be able to afford it. I'd be happy to pay $1500 if it meant very few people were parading around the same device as me. It's annoying.

22. mantan macrumors 68000

Your quote represents the true magic of Apple. In a world where consumers are the more demanding than any time in modern history, Apple not only gets a free pass....they have a fanbase that'll happily defend practices they routinely bash other companies for.

If AT&T or Verizon raise prices a nickel, people grab their torches and pitchforks. If Apple decides to jack up prices, the fan base happily accepts it and derides anybody for not being happy to let Apple stick their hand deeper in their pocket.

I kinda got it when Steve Jobs was alive. There was a certain magic to the company. But these days....

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I think it is WAY to early to be guessing about the 6 costs.

24. Deguello macrumors 6502

I'd love to think this is a joke, but I'm afraid it's not.

25. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'd pay the $750 on one condition.

Drop the 16GB from the lineup.

----------

It's speeches like this that made me initially hate Apple. Thank goodness I learned this mentality isn't the majority.