iPhone 6 static when you touch microphone with pinky during a call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dave999z, Sep 19, 2014.

1. dave999z macrumors newbie

Could someone with an iPhone 6 please try this?

--make a call

--when you're talking to someone (with the phone up to your ear, not on speaker), if you brush the little microphone hole (on the bottom of the phone right next to the headphone jack) with your pinky, do you hear immediate static?

I do. My iPhone 5 did NOT do anything like this.

Just wondering if it's this particular unit, or they all do this (like iPhone 4 antenna gate).

In general, love the form factor and design of the phone, but, I think the fit and finish is a bit cheap for all of Apple's bragging about how perfect their products are. The 5 felt way better built to me. The volume buttons on the 6 feel (and sound) a little plasticky on the 6 (relative to the 5). Also, the bottom edge of the 6 is very uneven and rough feeling compared to the 5. The edges of the mic and speaker holes just aren't very smooth, and the Lightning connector protrudes just a hair as well. Not totally Apple like.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Are you sure that's not just the sound of your finger rubbing against the mic? I can generate a static-isn sound on my 5s if I rub my finger on that mic. But then I can do that on just about any mic.

3. dave999z thread starter macrumors newbie

You beat me by a minute!

It's different on the 6. (Had my 5 for two years, it was not like this.) The difference is like being able to tap right NEAR the sensor of a mic versus right ON the sensor. But not just because it sounds closer/louder. It sounds more like static or a short / ground loop issue.

Please, someone with a 6, test this.

4. dave999z thread starter macrumors newbie

Could someone PLEASE test this? It will take like 1 minute. Please.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Just did. No static.

6. dave999z thread starter macrumors newbie