iPhone 6 still with TLC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Basic75, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Basic75 macrumors regular

About a month ago there was speculation that the iPhone 6 would stop using - cheaper and not really appropriate given what Apple charges - TLC flash to - better and more expensive - MLC flash.

Now there seems to be little news on the subject, so, apart from asking whether anybody has seen an update on the issue, I was wondering whether even some most recently bought iPhone 6 are still using TLC?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe all the discussion was just mostly rumors and speculation. Nothing definite was coming from apple on what it will be using.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Apple will never admit to it. The 128GB are very scarced, so I'm wondering if this is the reason why.

4. rgusa8 macrumors member

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

According to the Apple Store I visited this morning it's still very possible that new phones will have TLC NAND.

I actually just went in for a warranty swap on an iPhone 6 64GB that had TLC and all the worst reported issues with it; they gave me no trouble on replacing it, even though they could not replicate the crashing at that moment, but noted they couldn't guarantee that the replacement would not have the TLC NAND too. The Genius thought it was about a 50-50 shot, from what he's seen. Since I know quite a few people have TLC without any problems at all, I figured I don't really care so long as it doesn't crash constantly the way my first one did. And that problem doesn't seem to be a hugely common one.

It sucks if you do happen to get one of the defective ones, though. I've never been as disappointed in an iPhone as I was in my first iPhone 6. Hopefully the replacement will perform better.