iPhone 6 & Straight Talk, what happened to 4G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by crjackson2134, Nov 3, 2014.

1. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

So I got an Unlocked/No Contract Verizon phone, removed my straight talk sim card from my 4S, trimmed it to the correct size and put it in the iPhone 6. I got service and everything started working right away, except I'm not getting 4G service.

I've checked in the iOS settings and LTE is enabled. My local area is supposed to have 4G LTE service. Do I need to but a new sim card to get 4G and/or LTE service? What am I missing?

2. AronDraws macrumors regular

AronDraws

I've had a StraightTalk number for years, and every time I upgraded my android phone, I just did the transfer to the new device via the Straight Talk site.

This time, I was given an iPhone by my friend (apple replaced it because the battery was swelling) and I went to straight talk and ordered a new sim card for it.

That sim card came with a special activation number that replaces the number of the phone so that their system can find it or something to that accord.

Once I activated, I went to my profile and transferred my active number to the new device. Nothing appeared to work when I went to bed (I had red bolded warnings on my profile with errors) but when I woke up, it worked like a charm. Service and everything!

You may need to buy a new SIM card from them (it was like 5 bucks) and transfer your number. Since you got a verizon phone it might not be showing up correctly in ST's system and if you get the new sim from ST, you can activate it and the phone in their system.

Worth a shot for a couple of bucks.

3. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Do you think the different SIM card may enable the 4G LTE?

4. AronDraws macrumors regular

AronDraws

Go check out StraightTalk's "Bring Your Own Phone" area of their webpage. They outline the steps.

It may or may not work (I was just thankful to get service at all after the hell we went through to get the phone I had unlocked and ultimately had to have it replaced with a very faulty battery that broke the inside of the device) but I think it's worth a try since the SIM card came with a packet and guide which included a new number I needed to use instead of the device's serial/imei number.

A sim should be only a couple of bucks so it's worth a shot I think

5. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Thanks, I'll do that.

6. AronDraws macrumors regular

AronDraws

Glad to help-- it was all a little confusing to me at first and when I followed the instructions, I still got several big glaring red errors on my ST profile online, and I was thinking to myself--- damn I bet this won't work, but I went to sleep--- woke up, turned phone off and on again, and bam! Service! :D