Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
My girlfriend dropped her iPhone 6 into a tide-pool, where it remained underneath a couple of inches of saltwater for at least five minutes, half buried in sand. She came back to the hotel room, crying. I said, what's wrong? And she told me the sad tale of how it fell out of her jacket pocket and it took her 5 or 10 frantic minutes to find it once she realized it was missing. I asked her to hand it to me, and when she did I cleaned out the sand from the lightning port and headphone jack with a GUM Go-Between (a sort of cross between dental floss and a toothbrush, a piece of wire on a handle with tiny bristles). I shook it but no water came out.

I connected it to her laptop and downloaded all her pix, and backed up the device. It began charging the battery. I tested all the functions. There was not a drop of water under the screen or in the camera. TouchID sensor works perfectly still. Makes calls. Receives texts. Plays Vain Glory. A few days later, still, no problems at all.

Read on iFixit's teardown that the iPhone 6 has some gaskets around the buttons. I had no idea that it was somewhat waterproof, strange that they don't advertise this fact. Of course with their enemies slathering at the bit for the next "-gate" to bring Apple down with, I'm not surprised they kept this quiet. I mean if they said it was some classification of waterproof, surely, some YouTube one-hit-wonder would make some video where they "prove" it leaks, or cast doubt upon how waterproof it actually is, or show how much more waterproof Samsung's one is, or claim Apple copied Samsung on the waterproofing… etc. …

But all I know is, this iPhone 6 survived a trip into the ocean and sand. I'm pretty amazed.

Reactions: saintforlife

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
You should have used dry rice and powered off for a few days for better ( Maybe ) longer results. Now it will probably rust inside or other future issues. Good luck

PS: Did she have AppleCare Plus by chance. Great to have in cases like these.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Give it some more time before you call it a surviving ocean and sand iphone :D
I doubt it will stay alive for long.
You should have used dry rice and powered off for a few days for better ( Maybe ) longer results. Now it will probably rust inside or other future issues. Good luck

PS: Did she have AppleCare Plus by chance. Great to have in cases like these.

I guess we'll see. I understand about the rice, but we could still do that, right? I don't think it was deep enough for water to have penetrated past the seals. I think the seals worked. Could be wrong, but I'd expect to have seen some sign of moisture inside the screen like it fogging up or something if it got water past the seals.

I do think she has AppleCare Plus. Maybe we can have the genius bar crack it open and check for any water inside, or I can just crack it open with my suction cup and look.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I guess we'll see. I understand about the rice, but we could still do that, right? I don't think it was deep enough for water to have penetrated past the seals. I think the seals worked. Could be wrong, but I'd expect to have seen some sign of moisture inside the screen like it fogging up or something if it got water past the seals.

I do think she has AppleCare Plus. Maybe we can have the genius bar crack it open and check for any water inside, or I can just crack it open with my suction cup and look.

There is no seals or any type of waterproofing tech. The phone is wide open for water to go in from multiple passages.
5 minutes under salt water and most likely internals will start corroding soon.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Especially salt water. If even the smallest amount got in, that salt will be so corrosive. Well at least the Applecare Plus will take away some of the sting if it goes bad.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
There is no seals or any type of waterproofing tech. The phone is wide open for water to go in from multiple passages.
5 minutes under salt water and most likely internals will start corroding soon.

This is not completely correct. The home button does have a rubber gasket that seals off the home button cover from the interior of the iPhone.

I looked extensively at photos on iFixit of the iPhone 5 and 5S to determine this, and I believe the iPhone 6 has the same basic configuration of the home button. This is actually a good design choice, because it reduces the possibility that sweaty fingers could introduce salty liquid into the phone.

This being said, I haven't seen any evidence of seals behind any of the other buttons, or seals between the display and unibody. The iPhone appears to be designed to survive light rain or water spray, but not submersion.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
This is not completely correct. The home button does have a rubber gasket that seals off the home button cover from the interior of the iPhone.

I looked extensively at photos on iFixit of the iPhone 5 and 5S to determine this, and I believe the iPhone 6 has the same basic configuration of the home button. This is actually a good design choice, because it reduces the possibility that sweaty fingers could introduce salty liquid into the phone.

This being said, I haven't seen any evidence of seals behind any of the other buttons, or seals between the display and unibody. The iPhone appears to be designed to survive light rain or water spray, but not submersion.

I agree that it has gaskets but those are not water proofing or water resistant gaskets or any type of fluids device protection. If you submerge it in water the liquid will enter the inside of the phone and from many different openings and eventually destroy the device.

Reactions: ABC5S

tamreed9570

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
My cousin dropped her iPhone 6 Plus in the ocean and it was in there for a few minutes.. That was back in April... Phone still works perfectly.. Never had any trouble with it at all.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
My cousin dropped her iPhone 6 Plus in the ocean and it was in there for a few minutes.. That was back in April... Phone still works perfectly.. Never had any trouble with it at all.

Consider her very very lucky so far. But that doesn't mean that the phone will continue to work fine and not just die all of a sudden with no notice.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Make sure she backs up everything! Make sure iCloud Backups are enabled to automatically go nightly! Enable iCloud Photo Library to backup the photos! Pretty much, she had better treat her phone as if it is dying the next day, every day, until she gets a new one. Backup. Nightly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.