iPhone 6 - Tech21 Impactology

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
For the 5, I was a bumper kinda guy. I don't like bulky cases. I bought two bumpers on Amazon, and one fell apart in less than a week. Since the second one was the same kind, I returned both and went to the VZW store to see what they had.

I bought the Tech21 Impactology since it appeared to be the best thing that fit my needs. I wish I could have found one with grey accents, but the orange isn't overbearing.

See pictures below. I would absolutely recommend this case for someone who wants protection with a lip, and doesn't want a huge bulky case. It's slightly grippy, which can help with drops. The openings on the bottom are nice and wide. Strangely enough, the lightning cable opening is perfect for me to rest my little finger in when I'm using the phone one-handed.

Wish I had some pics of the phone in it, but I bought it just before having to leaving town for work, and my phone is the only camera I have :(

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
The Apple Online Store had a black version. I had the tech21 for my 5s and it served me pretty well. Looking forward to picking this one up.

whsbuss

macrumors 68040
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Saw those at Verizon and did not like two things:

1 - camera cutout too large
2 - with phone inside it was a bit too grippy sliding in/out of my pants.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Does it feel that bulky when you're holding the phone?

To the poster above, the camera cut out is meant to be large so that it doesn't mess with the flash when taking photos, that's why.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
Had same case on my 5S, after I while couldn't deal with large camera cutout, got rid of it. Was hoping they'll chage for 6, other wise awesome case.

whsbuss

macrumors 68040
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.

To the poster above, the camera cut out is meant to be large so that it doesn't mess with the flash when taking photos, that's why.
Yes I understand that. However there are many other cases (Speck comes to mind) with a slightly smaller cutout with no flash issues. Bigger cutouts cause more dust/dirt to connect inside.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
Saw those at Verizon and did not like two things:

1 - camera cutout too large

2 - with phone inside it was a bit too grippy sliding in/out of my pants.

The camera cutout is rather large, but I can overlook that with the other qualities.

As for the grip, I can see how that might be an issue for some. I wear suits or slacks to work everyday so the pockets are a little larger and easier to deal with.

To me it feels just like the old monoprice bumper with the back filled in.

SLM9555

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
How easy is it to take the case on and off? I need a case that is fairly easy to take off so I can put the phone in an armband for a run.

Thanks!

Krabba

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2013
Charlotte, NC USA
iPhone 6 - Tech21 Impactology

I thought I might go 100% naked with my 6 after using a Caudab Veil for a year on my 5s, but this case has convinced me otherwise. I'm not a fan of bulky cases at all and considered going with a Veil again for my 6, but decided I wanted a bit of shock protection (should I experience a drop) and grip (to help prevent one in the first place) and this case fits the bill.

I wish I could have found one with grey accents, but the orange isn't overbearing.
Agreed. I wasn't a fan of the orange initially and wished it were gray or black, but I don't really even notice it now.

I would absolutely recommend this case for someone who wants protection with a lip, and doesn't want a huge bulky case. It's slightly grippy, which can help with drops. The openings on the bottom are nice and wide.
Agreed.

Strangely enough, the lightning cable opening is perfect for me to rest my little finger in when I'm using the phone one-handed.
Interesting. I hadn't held it this way prior to reading your post. Good catch, it is helpful with one handed use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.