iPhone 6 - text too small?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpavilion, Apr 27, 2015.

1. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Playing with the iPhone 6 in the store, I notice that the text seems to be smaller than on my 5... uncomfortably small, especially for reading articles on Safari (at least without activating Reading Mode). And if you turn on "Zoom" display mode, the text becomes too big (with image quality degraded); not to mention that Zoom puts you back to 5 rows of icons (plus the dock), etc.; so what have you gained by getting a bigger phone at that point?

In sum, it seems like the resolution on the 6 is not favorable to my eyes or usage, either at normal (hi-rez) or Zoom (lo-rez) mode. Has anyone who switched to a 6 found this to be an issue? Thx

2. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

I use my 6 in zoomed mode.

It's much better for me, that way.

Text is a bit bigger, and you can also increase the text size even further in settings.

You lose a row of apps on screen, but that's no concern to me.

A much better experience, in my opinion ...

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

There are options to increase text size and/or make it bold without the use of zoom or something along those lines.

4. mpavilion thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think that helps with Safari(?) Never understood why Safari text size isn't adjustable.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Possibly because you can usually zoom in to whatever level you might want on many sites.

6. mpavilion, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

mpavilion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sadly, not mobile sites which are formatted as a single fixed column of text (like the news site I read 99% of the time). Reading Mode is a big help, of course (but it tends to strip away images, etc. that I'd sometimes like to see as I read).

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Most of the time just double a double tap on the text will zoom in just right while in Safari. Works for me most the time. Sometimes you will need to zoom but the double tap will zoom into a full paragraph mode.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Would turning the phone into landscape orientation get sites like that to load with somewhat larger text?

9. cynics macrumors G4

9 times out of 10 when I find text to be a little bit too small for mobile mode where you can't zoom in there is a reader mode (horizontal lines on the left side of the search field).

10. mpavilion thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's hard to tell on my 5c (where the text is just about large enough anyway). Looks like maybe it gets a little larger, but not much(?)

11. kargurin macrumors regular

kargurin

I used a 5s as part of my T Mobile Test Drive. I felt like I needed a microscope to read web pages. Own a 6 + now and it renders text as you would expect of a screen that size.

12. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Use mercury browser and increase your font size as big as you want on any website. It even remembers the size you set for any site you visit. My number one reason for using Mercury browser on both iPad and iPhone 6 Plus.

13. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I tend to agree now after owning an iPhone 6 since september 2014. There is something just not right for me in both modes. Its like they are both compromises with either offering something the other lacks.

In apps the zoomed mode often puts UI elelemtns at a better size but text and borders are too big drawign more attention to themselves than is necessary. Standard mode makes the UI elements too small. This is the sort of thing Steve Jobs paid attention to and sadly its not present at the moment. Maybe when all the screens are a bigger size and there isn't a hack job going on the UI elements will be symmetrically usable in size and layout.

Setting bold text is horrific. Its ugly beyond belief. The font and the colour yuk. Its almost as if its saying this is not how we want you to use the iPhone so we will give you a **** microsoft no taste appearance.

Putting the text size higher doesn't give what zoomed mode gives, and using zoomed mode with lower sized text does not give what standard gives.

My next iPhone maybe a 6+ or 7+ just to avoid this situation.