Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubbiejunior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
My wife got her new iPhone X today and I am getting ready to set it up for her. She's moving from a 6 and she uses picture folders heavily in the native photos app. She wants to maintain all of her same folders on her new X, but she doesn't want to have to do it manually. Is there a way for me to get this accomplished without buying a 3rd party software?

Cubbiejunior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
My wife got her new iPhone X today and I am getting ready to set it up for her. She's moving from a 6 and she uses picture folders heavily in the native photos app. She wants to maintain all of her same folders on her new X, but she doesn't want to have to do it manually. Is there a way for me to get this accomplished without buying a 3rd party software?

Didn't even think about this, but if I do a full backup through iTunes on my computer and restore the X from that backup, it should also have the photo folders intact. Would that be the case? With regard to iCloud, I believe your suggestion would work, but I am only using the "free" 5gb and her photos are around 10gb in size.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Didn't even think about this, but if I do a full backup through iTunes on my computer and restore the X from that backup, it should also have the photo folders intact. Would that be the case? With regard to iCloud, I believe your suggestion would work, but I am only using the "free" 5gb and her photos are around 10gb in size.
If you backup from iTunes everything will remain the same. Photos including folders, settings, apps, contacts, etc.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

It costs 99 cents a month to go up to 50 GB. Yes you can backup to iTunes on the computer, but something tells me your wife doesn’t do that often. What would she do if her iPhone died or got lost/stolen?

Personally I think it’s best to do a full encrypted backup to iTunes (encryption required for health data) on occasion AND backup automagically to iCloud and iCloud Photo Library. Restore from iCloud backup, but keep the iTunes backup you did right before setting up new phone just in case. Actually it would be faster to restore from iTunes, but it can be trickier if you don’t ensure that it’s backing up everything. I think new versions of iTunes are better about that though.

Would your wife say those photos are worth 12 bucks a year?

Cubbiejunior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
Yeah, just backup the old phone and choose to restore from the backup during setup.
Thanks...my brain is in tune with only doing things through the cloud, but the simplest way was right in front of me!
[doublepost=1511239744][/doublepost]
It costs 99 cents a month to go up to 50 GB. Yes you can backup to iTunes on the computer, but something tells me your wife doesn’t do that often. What would she do if her iPhone died or got lost/stolen?

Personally I think it’s best to do a full encrypted backup to iTunes (encryption required for health data) on occasion AND backup automagically to iCloud and iCloud Photo Library. Restore from iCloud backup, but keep the iTunes backup you did right before setting up new phone just in case. Actually it would be faster to restore from iTunes, but it can be trickier if you don’t ensure that it’s backing up everything. I think new versions of iTunes are better about that though.

Would your wife say those photos are worth 12 bucks a year?
Lol! My wife wants to know if you work for Apple? You're right...Yes, it's cheap. Do you know, will the $12 cover our family or only her Apple ID? We have a main Apple ID (mine) and Family Share with each of our family members having their own ID.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Thanks...my brain is in tune with only doing things through the cloud, but the simplest way was right in front of me!
[doublepost=1511239744][/doublepost]
Lol! My wife wants to know if you work for Apple? You're right...Yes, it's cheap. Do you know, will the $12 cover our family or only her Apple ID? We have a main Apple ID (mine) and Family Share with each of our family members having their own ID.

Actually you can now get a family sharing plan! I was just looking at that. My wife and I both have 50GB plans, and I’m already GB of mine... mostly for photo and video all taken with iPhone 6. The iPhone X has higher resolution and 4K video capability, so that will eat up the storage at a faster rate. Looks cheaper to share one 200GB plan with her.
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/icloud-family-storage-ios-11/

Oh... and you can reassure your wife that I don’t work for Apple. ;) Before I paid extra for the 50GB iCloud plan, I used Google Photos to backup my photos when I ran out of the free iCloud storage. Eventually I needed more iCloud storage for other iOS backup data as well since I also have an iPad and Apple Watch.

Last edited:

Cubbiejunior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
Actually you can now get a family sharing plan! I was just looking at that. My wife and I both have 50GB plans, and I’m already GB of mine... mostly for photo and video all taken with iPhone 6. The iPhone X has higher resolution and 4K video capability, so that will eat up the storage at a faster rate. Looks cheaper to share one 200GB plan with her.
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/icloud-family-storage-ios-11/

Oh... and you can reassure your wife that I don’t work for Apple. ;) Before I paid extra for the 50GB iCloud plan, I used Google Photos to backup my photos when I ran out of the free iCloud storage. Eventually I needed more iCloud storage for other iOS backup data as well since I also have an iPad and Apple Watch.

Cool. Thanks for the advice!

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
Back up the 6 as an encrypted file. It transfers all passwords and everything when you restore the X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.