Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I can't really see any drawbacks as the x is basically the same as the xs (the latter will have zero features that I want/need that the x doesn't have) but cheaper.

Any thoughts?

jjohnstonjr

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I can't really see any drawbacks as the x is basically the same as the xs (the latter will have zero features that I want/need that the x doesn't have) but cheaper.

Any thoughts?

Brace yourself my friend. I said the same thing in a previous thread and the fanboys came out in droves. It's one thing to be a true Apple loyalist but to defend the fact that there are significant enhances from the X to the XS is foolish. The enhancements from the X to the XS will be minor and not recognizable by the naked eye. As for me I am going to get me and my mom two X's not XS's

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Brace yourself my friend. I said the same thing in a previous thread and the fanboys came out in droves. It's one thing to be a true Apple loyalist but to defend the fact that there are significant enhances from the X to the XS is foolish. The enhancements from the X to the XS will be minor and not recognizable by the naked eye. As for me I am going to get me and my mom two X's not XS's

Completely agree, and not worth an extra £10-15/month for basically the same phone, especially when you consider that I'll be going from a 6 so should notice a huge difference!

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
If I were buying a new phone right now, I'd go for the XS (or latest) to future proof as much as possible (and because I love trying out new features).

But the X is still an amazing device, has the same build and still ridiculously powerful. If you can grab one and save $$ compared to the XS I would go for it. It'll feel like a significant upgrade coming from the 6.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I wonder how long it is worth waiting for the price of the X to come down. Does anyone think that carriers will reduce the price when the XR is released?

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
How much more screen size (width) do you get with the x/xs over the 6?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
How much more screen size (width) do you get with the x/xs over the 6?
None, if you are talking about the amount of screen information displayed horizontally. Those are all exactly the same.

If you want more information displayed horizontally, the options are 7 Plus, 8 Plus, XR, or XS Max. Those four models are all also exactly the same as each other for amount of information displayed horizontally.

Apple only has two classes of phone size for info amount in terms of width:

Small: 6, 6s, 7, 8, X, XS
Big: 6+, 6s+, 7+, 8+, XR, XS Max

(I’m ignoring the smaller SE and other 4” iPhones as they have been discontinued.)

If you like the screen on the 6, I would recommend the XR.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The screen is a lot bigger then the 6 don’t know what the other guy is talking about.
The X and 6 show the exact same 375 points of information width wise, by design. If you don’t believe me, just put a X/XS and 6/7/8 side by side and load up a news article in Safari. You will see they display the exact same amount of text width-wise.

The X/XS will display much more vertically though, but that wasn’t his question.

Last edited:

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
I personally upgraded from an SE to the X and it's one of the most drastic and enjoyable upgrades I've ever made. The X is soo nice and I'm glad that it's still somewhat usable with one hand.

Seriously the X is a killer value (considering the second hand market prices and how much they're dropping), and you can't go wrong with it.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The X and 6 show the exact same 375 points of information width wise, by design. If you don’t believe me, just put a X/XS and 6/7/8 side by side and load up a news article in Safari. You will see they display the exact same amount of text width-wise.

The X/XS will display much more vertically though, but that wasn’t his question.
BTW, I should say that in terms of physical dimensions the X/XS is slightly wider than the 6, at 2.45” vs 2.3” but they display the same amount of info width-wise because the font and screen element sizing is slightly bigger on the X/XS.

srosk265

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
I upgraded from a 7 to an X and love it. I don't know what I am missing compared to Xs. But I know I saved a lot of money... I got a 256gb unlocked iPhone X for $680.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
None, if you are talking about the amount of screen information displayed horizontally. Those are all exactly the same.

If you want more information displayed horizontally, the options are 7 Plus, 8 Plus, XR, or XS Max. Those four models are all also exactly the same as each other for amount of information displayed horizontally.

Apple only has two classes of phone size for info amount in terms of width:

Small: 6, 6s, 7, 8, X, XS
Big: 6+, 6s+, 7+, 8+, XR, XS Max

(I’m ignoring the smaller SE and other 4” iPhones as they have been discontinued.)

If you like the screen on the 6, I would recommend the XR.
Great, thanks.

If I like the screen on the 6 why would you suggest the XR as opposed to the XS?

srosk265

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
I think he's saying that because they both have the same screen, whereas the X/Xs have the new OLED screen.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I think he's saying that because they both have the same screen, whereas the X/Xs have the new OLED screen.
Makes sense. Although isn't the OLED screen better, so surely I'd be more impressed with the jump from 6 to xs?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Great, thanks.

If I like the screen on the 6 why would you suggest the XR as opposed to the XS?
Because the XR effectively has the same quality screen as the 6, with the same 326 ppi pixel density, just much bigger. (Actually, overall the XR should be better, since it's brighter, etc. but in terms of text quality they should be similar.)

The XS has a better screen, but the 6's & XR's screen is good enough for most. If you are already happy with the 6's screen quality, the XR would suit you fine, but with much more usable screen area than the X/XS and for way less cost.

6: 375x667 point phone at 326 ppi.
XS: 375x812 point phone at higher ppi (note the same display point width as 6).

6+: 414x736 point phone at higher ppi.
Max: 414x896 point phone at higher ppi.
XR: 414x896 point phone at 326 ppi

X & XS have 22% more usable screen space than 6, BUT:

XR & Max have 22% more usable screen space than X & XS.
XR & Max have 48% more usable screen space than 6.
XR & Max have 22% more usable screen space than 6 Plus.

tl;dr:

6 and XR have the same pixel density and therefore should have very similar text quality. If you like the 6 screen, then you'll like the XR screen. The XR displays way more information than both the 6 and X/XS, but costs way less than the XS and less than even a discounted X.

So, if you like the iPhone 6's screen, the XR will be the best bang for the buck upgrade.

---

P.S. I almost forgot. Out of all the phones listed, the XR will also have the longest battery life. It should beat the X/XS battery life by something like 25%. Coming in second for battery life is the XS Max.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac2019

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Because the XR effectively has the same quality screen as the 6, with the same 326 ppi pixel density, just much bigger. (Actually, overall the XR should be better, since it's brighter, etc. but in terms of text quality they should be similar.)

The XS has a better screen, but the 6's & XR's screen is good enough for most. If you are already happy with the 6's screen quality, the XR would suit you fine, but with much more usable screen area than the X/XS and for way less cost.

6: 375x667 point phone at 326 ppi.
XS: 375x812 point phone at higher ppi (note the same display point width as 6).

6+: 414x736 point phone at higher ppi.
Max: 414x896 point phone at higher ppi.
XR: 414x896 point phone at 326 ppi

X & XS have 22% more usable screen space than 6, BUT:

XR & Max have 22% more usable screen space than X & XS.
XR & Max have 48% more usable screen space than 6.
XR & Max have 22% more usable screen space than 6 Plus.

tl;dr:

6 and XR have the same pixel density and therefore should have very similar text quality. If you like the 6 screen, then you'll like the XR screen. The XR displays way more information than both the 6 and X/XS, but costs way less than the XS and less than even a discounted X.

So, if you like the iPhone 6's screen, the XR will be the best bang for the buck upgrade.

---

P.S. I almost forgot. Out of all the phones listed, the XR will also have the longest battery life. It should beat the X/XS battery life by something like 25%. Coming in second for battery life is the XS Max.
Thanks for the info. Happy with the 6 screen but if the xs is better then it is another tick in the XS box. I want a one handed phone and, in my opinion, the XR will be a little more than that so prefer the size of the x/xs.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the info. Happy with the 6 screen but if the xs is better then it is another tick in the XS box. I want a one handed phone and, in my opinion, the XR will be a little more than that so prefer the size of the x/xs.
OK, then you have two main options:

1. Wait until October for the XR to be released and then you can compare the XR alongside the XS in person.

2. Try to find stock of a price-reduced X and buy now, cuz it will probably be sold out by October 26.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.