Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PolishTech

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2016
Phone has had zero issues since I did this fix. Posted in Apple community in a lengthy thread that offers no answers and Apple removed it
Dude, you are a genius! Thanks for the tip. With my iFixit toolkit and a small square of electrical tape I was able to fix my issue in about 5 minutes. Thanks again for sharing, I really appreciate it!

djpamg

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2010
Yes that's exactly right.

Dude, you are a genius! Thanks for the tip. With my iFixit toolkit and a small square of electrical tape I was able to fix my issue in about 5 minutes. Thanks again for sharing, I really appreciate it!

I just tried this and used 2 pieces of regular black electrical tape under the plate. Initially I put 4, but then I couldn't get the center screw to catch the threads in the corresponding hole. I then gave my phone to my daughter after I used the phone for about a half hour and there was no glitching. She's like the "stress test" of phones, and she eventually got it to start glitching, albeit much less and in a controllable manner (sleeping then waking phone gets it to calm down).

Maybe 3 layers of electrical tape?

Is the idea of the tape to have the extra thickness so the plate pushes those connectors underneath more securely down into their nests? Or is it a thermal issue? Or both?

Thanks for the tip. In regular (ie "non-teenage girl") use, the phone seems back to normal!

Murmur71

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
Thank you, Mdsune! I live in South America now, so getting the tools / screen replacement kit wasn't easy. I ordered one on Amazon but had to wait a couple of months until a friend flew out and brought it with him. I did exactly what Mdsune said and I used about the first minute or so of this video:
to figure out which plate was being referring to. (It's the plate at the inside top of the phone with the 5 screws in it - see :40 of the video). I popped that plate off and cut four pieces of electrical tape to fit on the underside of that plate. Don't worry about the screw holes as the screws will go back through the tape no problem.

I've been using the phone for the last few hours and it works like new. I'm so happy! Mdsune, you rock!

Reactions: interactive3

gprant

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2016
Curious if anyone has had the touchscreen on the i6 go crazy on you? The touchscreen thinks you are touching everything at once and goes nuts. Apps open by themselves, the screen scrolls up down sideways when browsing the web, and it gets non responsive. It fixes itself after a few and then at random, starts again. Turning it off/on used to work now it's constant. I already did a settings reset. It fixed the problem for about a day. It started again. It seems like I need to do a factory reset. It's sad though, never have I had any issues with my prior iPhones. And I always start fresh, I never use old backups from old models.

Is this a known issue with these models?
I have the exact same problem. THe software was corrupted. The Apple store fixed it and it worked for a day - now it is absolutely crazy!

Turamali

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2016
I am having the same exact problem with my Iphone 6 Plus 128 gig. Originally, I was having problems with the screen recognizing my touches. It would be unresponsive and I would do a reboot and then it would be fine until it happened again, a few days later. Now the phone goes crazy. I have tried to troubleshoot by turning off various network setting (WiFi, Bluetooth) thinking this would help. Finally, I put the phone into Airplane Mode and when I do the problems continue until I do a hard reboot. Then when I restart the phone everything is fine until I turn off the Airplane Mode and then the phone goes crazy again. I am going to my carrier T-Mobile today and see if they will swap out my phone.

Anyone have any solutions?

I have the issue with iphone 6s plus. the screen acted crazily in all of a sudden, I had to turn off the phone and turned it back on again, and it started to self click password, and my phone was locked. after a few cycles, I have to connect it to itunes and wipe out everything and restart it. After wipe out, nothing changed, the screen still acted like it knows everything and kept typing on it own. Since it is out of 1 year warranty already, I don't know who can help? I guess something's wrong with the touch screen and maybe need to discharge and recharge to recover. Anyone has any idea?

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I have the issue with iphone 6s plus. the screen acted crazily in all of a sudden, I had to turn off the phone and turned it back on again, and it started to self click password, and my phone was locked. after a few cycles, I have to connect it to itunes and wipe out everything and restart it. After wipe out, nothing changed, the screen still acted like it knows everything and kept typing on it own. Since it is out of 1 year warranty already, I don't know who can help? I guess something's wrong with the touch screen and maybe need to discharge and recharge to recover. Anyone has any idea?

Sounds like touch disease to me but Apple is only covering iPhone 6+ With the replace program as far as I know not 6s. The 6s was made with a stronger material that was not supposed to cause this issue.

My 6+ was doing exactly what you are saying yours is. Apple genius said a screen replacement wouldn't fix it. Needs a full phone replacement

Turamali

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2016
Sounds like touch disease to me but Apple is only covering iPhone 6+ With the replace program as far as I know not 6s. The 6s was made with a stronger material that was not supposed to cause this issue.

My 6+ was doing exactly what you are saying yours is. Apple genius said a screen replacement wouldn't fix it. Needs a full phone replacement

OK, my issue with this iPhone 6s plus suddenly disappeared! it bothered me 3 weeks before and I have even tried to wipe out the data and reset it, it was still crazy at that time. However during this weekend, I just turned it on and let itself type crazily on the screen, until it consumed the power, it stopped typing! ha, then it became normal! I cannot believe! What a joke!

MHeath

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2016
Any luck, news, video, etc.?

Hello! Has anyone been successful in creating a YouTube video on how to do this??? I've found ones that show how to take it apart, but not sure where to place the tape. Thanks in advance!

Just saw the comment from MurMur21 on October 5th - thank you! I purchased the tool kit from the YouTube video, cut four pieces of electrical tape, placed it under the metal plate and voila! So far so good, but I'll post if the phone gets all crazy on me again. Thanks so much for the fix guys!

Back already - didn't work for me. =( I should mention that I've already tried restoring the phone too. Taking it apart was my last resort. Should I maybe add another layer of tape? I placed four pieces on there. So disappointed. Really don't want to spend a bunch of money on the iPhone 7 since it's basically the same thing. Ugh.

Last edited:

JPD2020

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2016
Phone has had zero issues since I did this fix. Posted in Apple community in a lengthy thread that offers no answers and Apple removed it
[doublepost=1481129320][/doublepost]
N O T G O O D !!

That Sucks !, Apple

Reactions: MHeath

pmpysz

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2016
I just did the tape fix on my wife's phone and it's like there was never a problem.

Some details...

-Gold iPhone 6 128 GB model on AT&T.

- Phone started with intermittent screen over a couple months.
- Using the lock button on the side would allow for a reset and random amount of regular use would be allowed to follow.
- Problem got worse until the phone started performing random input actions without any real touch input ( this included called 911 twice earlier today).
- Phone was mostly unusable, but responded to all regular button presses without issue. Hinting that it was the screen.
- It wasn't until the random input that I found this thread. Before that, all I would get is the "touch disease" problem in the search results.

- I removed the screen, metal plate, and re-seated the 4 connectors.
- I placed 3 layers of regular electrical tape with the sticky side towards the metal plate.
- I installed all the screws but the center one without issue. I just used a small piece of tape to hold it in place.
- Reassembled the phone otherwise

The phone has worked great for hours now. I was immediately able to use the phone as normal and it behaved brand new.

Thank you to everyone in this thread!!! It saved me a ton of money!!!!

Just FYI, I managed to do this without a special toolkit. An exacto knife will unscrew the main two screws at the lightening port. I had a small screw driver from the internal screws. I also successfully used a regular screw driver covered in electrical tape to wedge open the sides. Furthermore, I used a suction cup from my son's hot wheel bath tub toy. So where there's a will, there's a way. No kit needed.

Last edited:

Byjaaq

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2017
Fixed this same issue on my 6 plus by placing a bit of rubber tape under the plate that secures the touch screen ribbon cables to the main board. Theory being and corraborated by others is that these connections were not getting good contact and heating up. I used a small piece of extreme tape on the back of this plate cut to fit inside the depression. Any non-stick self vulcanizing rubber tape will do. Phone is now usable again for another a penny.
O fix muy iPhone 6 with this solution...
Great!!!

cesve

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2017
Fixed this same issue on my 6 plus by placing a bit of rubber tape under the plate that secures the touch screen ribbon cables to the main board. Theory being and corraborated by others is that these connections were not getting good contact and heating up. I used a small piece of extreme tape on the back of this plate cut to fit inside the depression. Any non-stick self vulcanizing rubber tape will do. Phone is now usable again for another a penny.
[doublepost=1486733175][/doublepost]Mdsune, I did what you recommended and my son's iPhone 6 plus is working properly after I put a little piece of tape as you wrote. Thank you so much. You are a genius !!!!

gerdy1983

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2017

You are a lifesaver! This totally worked and only spent $12 bucks. Thank you so much!

Redsink

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2017
You are a lifesaver! This totally worked and only spent $12 bucks. Thank you so much!
[doublepost=1487511782][/doublepost]Hi had thesame issue and because of mdsune my iphone 6s is good as new totally. I almost threw my iphone then but yeah, msdune you really rock man!!! God bless you. Awesome

mytekhelper

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2017
Is it possible that this could happen after dropping the iPhone? My daughter dropped my iPhone pretty hard the other day and after that, I noticed my phone messing up. The top of the screen would dance wih a white ribbon type looking thing and it would freeze. This morning though, it started going from one screen to the next all by itself. It even face-timed someone and I could not hang up. The person ended up answering the phone and I had a conversation with them! LOL It was so weird...
[doublepost=1487686154][/doublepost]It sounds like when she dropped it it might have hit towards or directly on the corner. The front glass may be fine but chances are the touch digitizer cracked.

You're gonna need a screen replacement but I would mention to the tech that does it for you to see if the flex cables just loosened up. Especially the one for the digitizer.

TechonologyManiacs

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2017
Somebody could take a picture of this process or a video pleeeease? I have been the same problem but I have not succeed. I think i`m doing something wrong.

Last edited:

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I have the same problem with my 6s. It doesn't happen often but when it does, while resting my finger on the dislplay everything goes nuts.

rssd

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
Could you kindly send me the tutorial please?

metanoia72

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
I also had this problem with my 6 plus which had been driving me crazy for a week. Before trying the fix on this thread with the electrical tape I just lay the phone screen side down on a flat surface and applied gentle pressure on the back where the plug would be. It is now working completely fine, not sure if its a lasting solution but it's worked for me.

Reactions: Jaspal06

Robbie39

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2017
Having the same issue and luckily ran across this thread. Do you happen to have a picture detailing this and/or could direct me to a picture or video? Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide this information.
[doublepost=1497559342][/doublepost]Had the same issue, putting tape under the cable cover seems to work. Be aware though, it is a really fiddly job, you need small fingers and patience, lots of patience if you have big fingers!
Also, make a note of exactly where each screw comes from as they are different lengths!
Hopefully fixed for good.

Abrar sait

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
Thanks for posting this it worked for me as well...

interactive3

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2017
My iPhone 6 had a case of the crazy touch screen or phantom touch. It was intermittent throughout the day for about 5 days. I was skeptical that two layers of electrical tape would work. I was also wary of opening up my phone, not wanting to damage it. After spending several hours almost buying a new phone at apple and on-line I decided to give the fix a try. Luckily I had access to the right bit to remove the two external screws, a small suction cup to start the screen off, some medium guitar picks to pry under the screen and a micro Philips head bit to unfasten the metal connector cover. I followed the first 53 seconds of the video supplied by Murmur71 for disassembly. I used an Xacto knife to cut and apply two layers of electrical tape on the inside of the metal cover. I also unseated and re-seated the connectors.

If you do this, pay close attention to the Philips head screw lengths. there appears to be three lengths. Oh, and I had a set of pointed tweezers to pick up and place the screws for reassembly.

The bottom line is that this appears to work! No issues for one day. I was sure this would not work if there were components on the boards that had loosened solder joints. I think it might just be the connector engagement. It appears that the added thickness exerts enough pressure for a good connection. My guess is that loose connection varies the impedance, causing false inputs.

Thank you Mdsune.

interactive3

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2017
24 hours update. My iPhone 6 is working like new. Not a single touch screen issue. The apple genius had offered an exact replacement for $299. Its' worth it to splurge on a basic ifixit tool kit, a roll of electrical tape and an xacto knife to have everything you need to correct the issue for one tenth the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.