iPhone 6 touchscreen unresponsive (pic)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abta1, Oct 10, 2015.

1. abta1, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015

abta1 macrumors 6502

So I recently dropped my iPhone 6 on a hard tile floor. There is not physical damage, however the screen now has two sets of vertical lines on it spanning from the top to the bottom which are each a fe pixels wide. In these areas, the touchscreen is unresponsive, for example, the lines go through the Y key on the keyboard and that letter is not recognised when pressed. Same goes for anything on the screen under these lines. I have to switch to landscape mode in order to type properly now. These lines can be seen in the attached picture, I have used a black background so that they are more visible.

The screen glass is in perfect condition otherwise. I have spoken to Apple and they have asked me to perform the usual tests, hard reboot, restore etc. The warranty has just elapsed on it and I do not have extended Applecare so they suggest taking it to an authorised repairer (we don't have an Apple store here in Vienna), stating that it will be either a screen replacement (cheaper) or a replacement (more expensive).

I just wondered if anyone has experienced this before and if a screen replacement will fix the issue. Or if it's the underlying capacitive electronics that have been damaged.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. SlyMaster13 macrumors member

SlyMaster13

Ive occurred the same issue and if the phone is acting this way then your going to just have to take it in and pay the 109-129 dollars to get the screen replaced. Hopefully its not something more then that. Yes I know the screen is not damaged but that is what they did for me and it worked.

3. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. Yes I hope that it's only the screen because that means that it's cheaper and also a quick job.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If you can get it to the Apple Store they can diagnose the problem. It could be as simple as a cable coming loose. Only they can tell.

5. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will take it in on monday to the authorised repairer suggested by the Apple support person, again, no official Apple stores in Vienna unfortunately. :(

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sorry I did not see that you were from Austria. I would love to visit.

Hope you get your good friend fixed.

7. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I went to a premium reseller today who only replace phones with refurbs from Apple and was quoted 379eur.

8. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: The authorised repairer checked it and confirmed that it was a problem with the screen. Given that my manufacturers warranty had run out less than 1 month ago, and that there was no other damage on the device, they contacted Apple who agreed to perform a goodwill exchange. So the day after, I was told my phone was ready to be collected and now I have a fully functional iPhone 6 128Gb again!

9. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

That's great that they did that for you. One of the reasons why I like Apple products so much is that I know that they stand behind their products. :)