iphone 6+ under linux

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tritron, Nov 10, 2014.

1. tritron macrumors regular

I have chromebook runing arch linux and I would like to sync my music under linux, I can install wine and itunes but what about drivers for iohone, I wonder why there is no itunes for linux>

2. urda Suspended

urda

Because Apple doesn't write drivers for it?

Short answer: Not going to happen because Linux isn't a support platform.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot going to happen.

3. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Agree. Won't happen. Instead get the program FileManager by TapMedia then dump all your music into its directory. I can't remember exactly how I could access all the various directories on the iPhone in Linux but from what I can remember, in Ubuntu I think it was, everything came up more or less automatically in whatever gui file manager was in default Unity. You can organize your music by directory in FileManager and play it directly from there.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's no iPhone for Linux because Apple sees no value in providing it. They have it for windows because of the marketshare and don't want to purposely exclude such a large segment but Linux is so small in marketshare it doesn't make financial sense for them to dedicate any resources to provide the drivers imo

5. tritron thread starter macrumors regular

There is this http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
    Since osx is unix and linux is very popular any android phone runs linux. Steam is trying to provide more games making linux more popular.

6. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

So, you answered your own question. You wouldn't happen to work on this project, would you?

7. maccoomes macrumors newbie

maccoomes

I have managed to move a copy of UbiDisk to my iPhone 6. It is a great FTP program. I got it when I had a 3G then moved it to a 4. I wonder if someone might update the app and submit it to Apple for the app store.