iPhone 6 Unlocked Option?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Juan9568, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Juan9568 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! Does anyone know when will Apple be giving the unlocked option for the iPhone 6 without any sim card?
    I spoke with an Apple guy and said they won't be available on the 19th and that they don't have any info on that. :confused:

Thanks!

2. DonkeyWhisperer macrumors member

Buy the T-Mobile version. It's carrier unlocked. Apple will swear up and down that it's locked, most likely due to contractual obligations to T-Mobile, but you can pop an AT&T SIM in there and let it activate on WiFi and it'll pull an unlock ticket and carrier unlock to work on AT&T or whatever.

If you don't have a foreign SIM, plug it into iTunes and restore to get the "Congratulations! You're iPhone is Unlocked." message.

3. Juan9568 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh.. sure? That would be awesome. since I'll be in the states for 1 month and then back to my country

4. DonkeyWhisperer macrumors member

They could always do something new this year, but this is what they've done in the past. You can buy it and then put your foreign SIM in it and see if it activates.

Don't turn it on until your foreign SIM is in the phone, and connect to Apple Store WiFi. You should be good.

Even if not, take it home and hook it up to iTunes and do a restore with your foreign SIM in it. Worst case scenario, return to the Apple Store.

THIS ADVICE ONLY APPLIES TO iPHONES PURCHASED FROM THE APPLE STORE. If you buy it from a T-Mobile store or other retailer, it will be carrier locked to T-Mobile and will stay that way until you've used it for 40 days on T-Mobile.

5. Juan9568 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! thanks for the advice man!

6. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

pretty sure verizon's iPhone 6 & 6+ will be unlocked. All verizon's LTE phones come unlocked.

7. DonkeyWhisperer macrumors member

This is true, but Apple won't allow you to buy one without a Verizon account at launch.