iPhone 6 very slow and laggy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by McCloud94, Oct 8, 2017.

1. McCloud94 macrumors member

I don't know how Apple manages to do this, but with every update, my phone is running slower and slower.

To the point where it's almost unusable.. opening apps, searching, typing text..

Is there anything I can do to make it run normally again ? When I bought the phone 2 years ago, it was running smoothly.

Something like a hard-reset, without losing any data of course.

2. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Your iPhone 6 is performing normally after an iOS update;)

There are genuine sites where you can go back in time iOS wise.

Someone will post link I'm sure, do a backup first though.

3. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

• I have the iPhone 6 and am waiting for Black Froday deals to be announced before upgrading. It was the last iPhone with 1gb of ram so it’s dying a natural death the way I see it. The delay opening apps is the most noticeable issue, but I sometimes get a lag when browsing with Safari or when I type.

4. McCloud94 thread starter macrumors member

But why was it all good before ? Is every firmware more demanding on the hardware ?

5. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Perhaps, perhaps its a way to make you upgrade, Kaching!

6. Dr_Charles_Forbin macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

This was the 32 to 64 bit OS jump. More memory, new drivers. I think that’s why it’s only supported on certain devices.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Yes each iOS is a bit more demanding. More features equals more stress on the CPU and other components. Many can live with the lag, much depends on what apps you are running and how CPU intensive they are.

8. brgjoe macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that. And I am sure you don't want to hear this, but my iPhone 6 is functioning normally after the update. No change in battery usage either.

I just did the OTA update. And after it updated, I just let it sit for awhile. Because I knew it would be indexing and rearranging a bunch of stuff. When I first started using it, there was some lag in app's like The Weather Channel and when opening the App Store. But after a day or so, the lag has all but disappeared.

Mine is running pretty much at the same speed/efficiency as it was under the last OS. Wish I could be more helpful. :(

9. McCloud94 thread starter macrumors member

And what exactly does it mean if the older versions are not signed anymore ?

Is there no way at all to go back or jailbreak ?

10. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

My 6 bogged down just from use. Might be worth a fresh install.

11. McCloud94 thread starter macrumors member

restore to factory defaults you mean ?

12. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

No. Wipe it and start fresh. iOS 10 was never as quick as 8. But during that year mine slowed immensely and I don't think it was just the OS.

13. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

If you are on iOS 11 there is currently no jailbreak.

If you are on anything higher than iOS 10.2 there is no jailbreak.

What signing means is that Apple holds the keys to install firmware. Your device either OTA or through iTunes checks with Apple to install the firmware you are asking. If Apple is not signing it, the key is not available and the firmware cannot be installed.

There is no way around this except if you have an iPhone 4s or older. There are some possibilities with an iPhone 5 and 5c but not much and you have to be on a jailbreakable firmware.

14. McCloud94 thread starter macrumors member

how would I do this ?

15. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Log out of all items using your Apple ID (iMessage, Facetime, etc).

Either Erase All Contents and Settings or attach your device to a computer running iTunes and Restore as new.

When asked if you want to restore from iCloud or a backup, decline.

Proceed to login to all accounts using your Apple ID. Reset them up. Reset up all your settings. Download all your previous apps and resetup all your email accounts.

You will lose all your messages, all POP email and all your app data.

Done.

16. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

My 6+ is more laggy with iOS11. It is frustrating, but still usable. I am debating an upgrade to either the s8/s8+ or the X so I will wait it out vs. doing a fresh install.

17. booksbooks macrumors 6502a

I don't believe the conclusion that Apple doesn't purposely throttle. I don't believe they do, either. There isn't enough evidence either way. But I can say this: I've owned every iPhone and iPad, and like a clock, after a few years and a few generations of iOS, they slow and get choppy.