iPhone 6 voice over data question

Saif23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Is voice & data working for anybody with a verizon iPhone 6/6 Plus ?

Last edited:

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
yes but occasionally the phone freezes while using it. Several times I couldn't disconnect a call because the screen was off and nothing was turning it on. I had to reboot.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Is voice & data working for anybody with a verizon iPhone 6/6 Plus ?
In my experience, it works only when there's usable LTE signal. For instance, if you initiated a call in LTE and walk to an area where LTE drops and the phone transitions to 4G/3G, the call would drop.

Saif23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
It wasn't working for me this morning, I had to enable LTE as data only because when it was on voice & data, it wasn't sending any text messages. I had to call Verizon, they tried but couldn't help me. Now LTE voice & data works fine.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Verizon confirmed my finding:

From IPhone 6 Models Offer New — But Still Immature — Calling Feature
Even where you can get VoLTE, you may have a frustrating experience with it, especially if you are a Verizon customer. If you initiate a VoLTE call on Verizon and then move to an area that has a tower that doesn’t support VoLTE, the call will drop, company spokeswoman Heidi Flato said. For now, Verizon iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users have to manually turn on VoLTE by going into their settings.
I would personally leave the feature off until your carrier completes migrating all the towers to LTE (T-Mobile expects to complete this sometime next year).

dcpmark

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I have a question....does using this feature count against your data? If so, why is this a good feature? Don't most of us have unlimited talking but limited data??

UPDATE: Never mind....the article answered my question. It doesn't count against your data....yet.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Verizon confirmed my finding:

I would personally leave the feature off until your carrier completes migrating all the towers to LTE (T-Mobile expects to complete this sometime next year).
I believe Verizon's LTE rollout is complete at this point. The only times you should still get a 3G or 2G signal are: Very weak signal (different frequencies used for the different technologies may mean in some areas you can only pick up one of them,) when you're connecting to a picocell (Subways, large shipping malls, etc,) or when you're roaming onto another provider's network (your network identifier should change to "roaming" when this happens.)