Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
So I purchased this phone off eBay it looks clean was described as nearly flawless great condition etc.. It looks good as far as the screen and no dents or anything but I did notice the buttons seem kinda recessed. Is this something I should worry about and try and return? The power button is nearly flush with the frame. It still does give off the clicking sound when I push it though. The volume buttons arent as recessed but they are sitting pretty low. I have a iPhone 6 that isnt like this at all so I know how they should be.

What should I do? Could I risk the buttons getting further stuck? I was thinking of taking it to apple and asking if its normal.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I purchased this phone off eBay it looks clean was described as nearly flawless great condition etc.. It looks good as far as the screen and no dents or anything but I did notice the buttons seem kinda recessed. Is this something I should worry about and try and return? The power button is nearly flush with the frame. It still does give off the clicking sound when I push it though. The volume buttons arent as recessed but they are sitting pretty low. I have a iPhone 6 that isnt like this at all so I know how they should be.

What should I do? Could I risk the buttons getting further stuck? I was thinking of taking it to apple and asking if its normal.

I would not keep it. I would return it back to the seller or request a refund, also contact the seller ahead of time and inform them of the issue. Because the buttons could become further recessed and eventually seize where it’s going to cause a problem with the functionality or it might need repair from Apple. Also, the buttons being stuck could also be a result of the iPhone was previously disassembled as well, which can be a common occurrence with phones that were disassembled or tampered with near the button area.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I would not keep it. I would return it back to the seller or request a refund, also contact the seller ahead of time and inform them of the issue. Because the buttons could become further recessed and eventually seize where it’s going to cause a problem with the functionality or it might need repair from Apple. Also, the buttons being stuck could also be a result of the iPhone was previously disassembled as well, which can be a common occurrence with phones that were disassembled or tampered with near the button area.
The thing is they function they all give off the clicking sound. They are recessed some though. I asked for a refund and he's telling me he won't accept it that it functions fine and is normal. He said if the buttons are recessed I did it. Looks like this is going to be a hassle. I wonder if eBay/PayPal would side with me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The thing is they function they all give off the clicking sound. They are recessed some though. I asked for a refund and he's telling me he won't accept it that it functions fine and is normal. He said if the buttons are recessed I did it. Looks like this is going to be a hassle. I wonder if eBay/PayPal would side with me.

Did the seller state that they don’t accept returns in the listing? Otherwise you are covered by eBay/PayPal and you can file a dispute.

It depends if you’re comfortable keeping the phone or not. If the buttons are somewhat recessed, that progressively could get worse. It’s up to you how you handle it, but I would not keep the device. The seller stated it’s nearly “Flawless” condition, if the buttons are somewhat recessed, then they didn’t either test the phone or it’s not an accurate description.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.