iPhone 6 vs 4s on their "shipping" os

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevemiller, Oct 14, 2014.

1. stevemiller macrumors 68000

I upgraded from the 4s to the 6, and on iOS 8 of course the 6 wins easily.

However I had the chance to compare it to my dads 4s this weekend; he has never updated from ios6 which came installed when he bought it. Technically that's still 1 version past its "shipping" os, which makes it all the more impressive how INSANELY smooth it was!

The iPhone 6 is obviously no slouch, but I seriously think people have forgotten just how amazing the fit and finish was between the hardware and software back in the day. This isn't an aesthetic thing either (although I have my opinions...) I simply mean how responsive and smooth tapping, scrolling and typing is. It easily matches the current hardware performance and scrolling through messages even seemed a little better on the 4S.

TL;DR:
    Really wish it was possible to roll back OS's, as I bet I'd be impressed even by how my iPad 3 would perform on its original OS. Probably would greatly reduce upgrade temptation, which I guess is kinda the point why they don't...

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Lol iPad 3 on iOS 5.1 lags horribly. I would know I own one. It's the slowest device I've ever used

3. stevemiller thread starter macrumors 68000

Try to imagine it running ios8, then! (At your peril!)