Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Retina HD refers to the new technologies in the new screen. The contrast ratio is over 50% better, which will make colors brilliant. Viewing angles are also increased.

blueflower

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
Forget the specs. Read hands on reviews. All of them say you notice the sharpness and vibrant colors right away. Two separate sites claimed they thought the screens were dummy models because the colors were so rich it looked like a fake display. I believe one site also said the difference between the 6 and 6+ sharpness is negligible to the naked eye. But you can bet they are both markedly better than the 5S.
I would agree with this statement.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Forget the specs. Read hands on reviews. All of them say you notice the sharpness and vibrant colors right away. Two separate sites claimed they thought the screens were dummy models because the colors were so rich it looked like a fake display. I believe one site also said the difference between the 6 and 6+ sharpness is negligible to the naked eye. But you can bet they are both markedly better than the 5S.

Why would the sharpness be different between the 6 and 5S/5C or even the 4S/4? Sharpness-wise, they will be EXACTLY the same, since all the aforementioned devices have 326ppi.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why would the sharpness be different between the 6 and 5S/5C or even the 4S/4? Sharpness-wise, they will be EXACTLY the same, since all the aforementioned devices have 326ppi.
Could be somewhat different due to various other screen improvements/changes.

sr1329

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009

True. Must be contrast or better viewing angles. But not sharpness.

Mac Wolf

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2014

Although the specs are the same, people that have used the phone say the difference between a 6 and 5 or a 5S is noticeable. Whether that's because of the size of the screen, the backlight, the saturation, whatever...it gives the appearance of being sharper and bolder than the 5S. I'm just going by the reviews I've read on tech sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.