iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus GPU Performance fragmentation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Sep 10, 2014.

1. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Lets discuss the possible performance differences between the different sized models.

Both run A8 chip, same operational frequency.

One is pushing 326ppi (750x1334) vs the other pushing 401ppi (1080p).

Clearly the iPhone 6 Plus running the same processor will be slower than the smaller sized iPhone 6. This is because it pushes 23% more pixels through the same processor.

What does this mean for GPU performance? Well for one we can assume that developers will be programming for the larger 1080p display. This is common sense since it is the lower performing of the two.

This also means that we could potentially never see apps take full advantage of the iPhone 6 GPU performance.

How do you think performance will scale at different resolutions?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean by fragmentation?

The iPad (rMini, Air, iPad 4) are not at the same speed or the same exact chipset. I don't think its fragmentation as much as one may be faster then the other.

3. phixionalninja macrumors member

It's also possible, depending on the quality of the "desktop class scaler" they mentioned, that rendering a native resolution frame buffer won't be as important anymore. If games really start pushing the limits of the GPU, we might see games targeting 750p and relying on the scaler for the iP6+.

4. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus GPU Performance fragmentation

I would have to agree with that. Seems like the scaler is going to do a lot of magic for them in the future

5. af21187 macrumors 6502

It it actually pushing over 100% more pixels (1m in the 6 vs. 2m in the 6 Plus). I hope developers will design games with the additional GPU power that will be available in mind for those with the 4.7 inch 6.

6. tann macrumors 68000

I thought the iPhone 5S/iPad Air/rMini all share an A7 (with VERY small differences between the iPhone and iPad version).

This will be the same surely? In the end you'll not notice any difference!

7. Imory macrumors 6502a

Yes.

Just like the iPad Air and iPad mini retina, you'll probably see 6+ be slightly higher clocked given that it can have a higher TDP. It'll probably have that to compensate for the additional amount of pixels it needs to push. Performance-wise both models will be similar.