iPhone 6 vs GoPro Hero 4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Freida, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

those that understand, how much better the GoPro Hero 4 is compared to the iPhone 6 in terms of video? If we ignore the 4K resolution?

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

Completely different devices with completely different sensors. The GoPro is bound to be a lot better. No comparison IMO.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Completely different devices with completely different functionality.

Iphone will be better in some instances, GoPro in others!

4. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you think that iPhone will reach that level in lets say 2 years? I would like to get the GoPro but if the iPhone 6 can do almost the same or similar then i might as well just have one device. The question is, how much better the Hero 4 pro is and if its worth the extra 500EUR. I like the idea of 4k but I will downscale it to 1080p anyway so maybe the iphone will be enough. I'm just amateur hobbyist who would like to shoot some short live action movies for fun. Nothing professional. (otherwise I would get RED, hahhahah :) )

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

I doubt it. A smartphone will never get to that level of sensor quality IMO. Maybe in well lit conditions, but not during dusk or low light shooting.

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Aside from the technological differences, wouldn't the GoPro suit you better simply from a practicality standpoint? If planning on shooting some short action films, then I'd imagine having a more durable and waterproof camera, one with many affordable mounting options, would be better (and less riskier than using a device that I also rely on as a phone).

Also, if you have no interest in 4K, then why not consider the Silver edition at 379 EUR?

7. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, that is also right. Practicality wins with the GoPro.
    I guess I might just wait a little for the reviews and then decide. I've never had a GoPro but the iPhone camera keeps getting better and better so I thought that maybe eventually GoPro might be pushed out. :)

8. handsome pete macrumors 68000

The GoPro bubble may eventually burst as more competition enters the fray, but I doubt a phone camera will ever match the quality/feature set of a current stand alone camera. And when I say current, I just mean an up to date version of a device, like a potential GoPro Hero 5 vs. iPhone 7.

A stand alone camera will always have the advantage of having all of its parts, software, etc. designed with the sole intention of building a quality camera. A phone camera, while constantly improving as well, will always have the limitation that it's strictly a feature of a multi-purpose device.

9. Unami, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

Unami macrumors 6502a

the iphone camera is pretty good, i wouldn't discount it. don't forget that on the iphone you might be able to control shutter timer, exposure, white balance and focus in some apps. on the gopro you can only lower the max iso, afaik. and even this can still lead to overexposure in some parts of the image.
    the iphone also got image stabilization and you can connect external gear for audio input. but it has a weaker codec than the gopro, so the quality of the gopro in terms of compression will be better (probably not for 4k video).

advantages of the gopro: rugged, wide angle lens, lots of accessoires, dedicated camera (you can change battery, memory, operate it with the press of a button)

so it depends on what you use it for - i'd rather use an iphone for documentary or fiction work and a gopro for long recordings or sports-action footage (and rather a "real" camera for both)