iPhone 6 weak wifi / not seeing networks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlaw, Oct 29, 2014.

1. jlaw macrumors member

My launch day iPhone 6 has had poor wifi performance since day one. When it first searches for networks, the search takes much longer than other devices (friends' iPhone 6's, my old 5S, my iPad rMini). It also doesn't see as many networks as the other devices, and the ones it does see show low or fluctuating signal at times. Sometimes it won't see any networks at all until I cycle wifi on and off multiple times.

It does this at home (tried with three different routers) and at my office. I also recently tried to print some photos from a Kodak kiosk at CVS where it creates a temporary wifi network, and despite the phone being a foot from the kiosk it wouldn't see the network or would only show 1 bar of signal.

I've done everything I can think of, both on the phone and on the routers accessible to me. I've changed from 2.4ghz to 5ghz and vice versa, changed channels, transmit power, etc.; I've reset network settings multiple times, I've turned off wifi in the location services settings, I've done a full DFU restore and set up as new phone, all with no success.

At first I chalked it up to software issues and waited patiently for updates, but the updates haven't changed anything. I've now been to the Genius Bar twice and both times was told that the wifi is functioning normally per their tests and that they could not replace the phone. Interestingly, the only time my phone shows full wifi signal is in the Apple Store. The second time, they grabbed a spare AirPort Express, plugged it in, and my phone saw it and was able to grab it with full signal. I bought that same model of router and set it up at home, and with that router only, I see full signal strength.

I'm at a loss here, as this seems to definitely be a hardware issue, but I'm being told all is normal. Two of my co-workers have iPhone 6's, and when I sit my phone side by side with theirs and toggle wifi on all of them, theirs immediately pop up approximately 10 networks in range from our office, our floor, and the floors above and below us. Mine, however, takes several seconds and then pops up maybe 2 networks, and half the time neither are our work networks with the routers located 10-20 feet away.

Do I just need to escalate this and not leave the store until I'm given a replacement? The only thing giving me pause is that I still see people having wifi issues with the 6, although none seem to be experiencing issues exactly like mine. I'm very happy with my phone otherwise - no other hardware or cosmetic issues for a change - and would hate to swap it out for no reason if a fix is actually forthcoming.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

2. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I was also having network issues (mainly cellular) tech support would not do NOTHING lol... I ended up taking pictures of 3 iPhones, 1 5s and 2 6s side by side doing speedtest and just documented everything for a day or two till I went back.

They replaced the phone without any question;)