iPhone 6, wifi turns off when locked

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MiniGeek, Apr 18, 2016.

1. MiniGeek macrumors member

I often pick up my iphone to find the wifi turned off and the 3 g data on. I'm not sure why this is happening. I don't think there are any issues with my router or wifi. The wifi comes back on in a few seconds, but sometimes I am already at the point of opening an app before this happens. I have a pretty decent data plan, but I would prefer the phone use the available wifi unless and until I tell it otherwise.

This is a fairly new phone, which was a replacement for a previous iphone 6 whose wifi eventually totally died after a 3 month long struggle.

Any thoughts?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

As I recall this is a fairly standard thing that happens with iPhones when they go to sleep basically. Usually WiFi will reconnect almost as soon as you turn the screen back on.

3. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

When your phone is inactive, the iOS will temporarily turn off Wi-FI by default in order to save battery.

4. MiniGeek thread starter macrumors member

OK, thanks. I guess I'm a little nervous about wifi issues after my experience with my other phone.

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

I've been really trolling around on this one.

routers that use the WPA2-AES standard use disposable rolling keys that change every hour. if your iPhone kept its wifi radio on while it was sleeping, it wouldn't be able to access the internet without reconnecting. so there