iPhone 6 will have bending issues?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
I may choose the smaller model simply because it seems like the phone may be prone to bending simply by having the phone in your pocket?

I've actually bent my old iPhone 5 before, simply being at work, and having to bend down a lot to lift heavy items.

Does anyone think the bigger the phone, the more susceptible to damage it is?

It doesn't seem to matter whether they are skinny jeans, regular pants, or baggy.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I may choose the smaller model simply because it seems like the phone may be prone to bending simply by having the phone in your pocket?

I've actually bent my old iPhone 5 before, simply being at work, and having to bend down a lot to lift heavy items.

Does anyone think the bigger the phone, the more susceptible to damage it is?

It doesn't seem to matter whether they are skinny jeans, regular pants, or baggy.
I agree. The bigger the phone is the more likely to get damaged. No matter how strong apple makes it, there will be some reports of bending.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
It could bend, but I've never bent an apple device.
Like suggested, belt clip. If you are going to be bending down, use a belt clip to avoid it from being prone to bending as you bend down.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I'm a bit worried about the 5.5" getting bent in my pocket but I think I'll give it a go and hope for the best. If I have issues, back to the 4.7" I'll go. :cool:

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Any bets as to how long after the 6 is released when a customer chimes in on this forum and complains about his/her iPhone bent while in pocket ? I give it 5 days, tops :D

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The iPhone 6 is reportedly even thinner then the 5, so the odds of it being structurally weaker are pretty good. So if you keep your phone in the back pocket, chances are the IP6 will bend

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Here's my take on the issue of phone bending in combination with the rumors of the non-flush camera module/lens. This is totally cynical reasoning, BTW.

I too have a bent iPhone 5. The bend is quite subtle and was caused by me trying to catch the phone, but instead slamming it on the side of a counter top. The case absorbed most of the damage, but there was/is slight bend to the frame. Almost undetectable.

So how did I find it? I found it because I put my phone down (a few days later) on a flat surface and noticed that it rocked on the when I put weight on the bottom edge of the phone. I thought that maybe there was something under the phone, but there wasn't. Took the case off thinking there was a bend in the case, and nope. It was the phone. Looking at it sideways, you could barely see the slight bend. (NOTE - I did bend it back in the other direction so that it's really not that noticeable)

Anyways, with a raised camera module, wobbling on a flat surface would no longer be an indicator of a bent phone. Therefore, the use of a raised camera is solely for the purpose of reducing service calls for bent iPhones. j/k

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The iPhone 6 is reportedly even thinner then the 5, so the odds of it being structurally weaker are pretty good. So if you keep your phone in the back pocket, chances are the IP6 will bend
Could be made out of different stronger material.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Any bets as to how long after the 6 is released when a customer chimes in on this forum and complains about his/her iPhone bent while in pocket ? I give it 5 days, tops :D
"I had my iPhone 6 in my back pocket and when I sat down it bent! Damn you, Apple!"

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Glass has breaking "issues". Water has wet "issues". The sun has brightness "issues". And skunks have stink "issues".

If you don't know by now that a thin device will bend (make it out of unobtanium... Doesn't matter if your fat rear sits on it...) then I dunno what to tell ya.

What else has "issues" since we're just pointing out the obvious?

Take care of your device, and it won't bend. Millions of people grasp this concept.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Traditionally Apple's always valued bragging rights and style over all else. As long as users are aware of the limitations that come with that practice it's easy to work around Apple's shortcomings. Every product is a series of compromises, so in that context Apples no different.

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
Oh man these stories, did anyone read that article today that a woman fell asleep with her phone and it rolled on her breast and burned her so hard she couldnt breast feed her child and now shes suing Apple. This was in the UK I think.

myforwik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2014
I would like to know the amount of force it takes to 'bend' an iphone 5.

I would say its far more likely that people have dropped their phone causing the case to skew rather than it bending from being in a pocket.