iPhone 6 with a Screen Problem (Probably?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by l008com, Jan 2, 2017.

1. l008com macrumors member

I hate to be lazy but I'm just going to copy the thread I started on the apple forum word for word...

I have an iPhone 6 that is in great shape. No cracks, no dents, no scrapes. All the buttons work. The TouchID works great, the camera takes great photos. Etc etc. There's just one issue. The screen is FILLED with crazy changing artifacts.

What I'm trying to determine is, does this phone simply need a new screen, or could there be more wrong with it?

Now considering everything I said so far, it also never crashes. It runs totally normally, even when running CPU/GPU intensive games for hours. It tracks your finger across the screen perfectly, no issues there.

This phone has been this way for about a year. The way it go this way is kind of funny. Apparently my gf put it in her bra while she went out for a run. She sweat a lot, and when she got home, it was like this. Yeah, I don't know 'how much can one person sweat' so don't ask. But given that it's condition hasn't gotten better or worst in a year, and given how literally nothing else has even the slightest hint of problem, that leads me to believe it is SOLELY a screen issue. If this were a Mac, I'd say it could also potentially be a GPU issue. But here, given that the CPU and GPU are the same chip, and given that I can run it with really taxing apps (MMX Racing for example) and it doesn't have the slightest glitch, I'm thinking screen.

Any thoughts? I don't want to pay for a new screen, only to find out it needs something other than a screen, and now i'm S.O.L.

I made a youtube video of me using the phone, so you could get an idea of how it behaves.

So let me know what you think.

2. macTW macrumors 65816

To me, that seems to be a GPU issue, similar to when the MacBooks had the GPU failure. But, I'm not an engineer, so don't take my word for it.

3. l008com thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I agree it does remind you of Mac GPU issues of the past. But since these are basically system on a chip type setups, doesn't the fact that everything else works perfectly suggest it is actually a screen issue?

4. Merger18 macrumors newbie

Merger18

Screen for sure but try cleaning connectors if screen and board with isopropoyl alcohol first

5. roguebear macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem on my 6. Not white lines like yours but purple lines and sometimes the screen would fuzz out into static. Sometimes if i pressed down on the center of the screen the artifacts would go away.

I took it to a 3rd party service shop and they said it's similar to the 6+ touch ID disease. Basically when the GPU starts coming out of its connectors on the board, it can do that. I asked if it was fixable and they said no. There's not a snap in connector that they can fix or tighten.