iPhone 6 won't make calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Taco1933, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Data works fine. When I go to make a call it just says call failed. Any ideas what's wrong?

2. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Did you use a new SIM or old SIM?

I'd try some basic things like restarting it, or maybe toggling airplane. Go to settings and update software and maybe you have a carrier update waiting for you.

You can also try re-setting the SIM itself.

If that all fails maybe something on the carrier side didn't get carried over, you can give their support a quick ring and maybe they can try to refresh something for you.

3. RCRod83 macrumors regular

RCRod83

Silly question.. did you activate your phone?

I'm on AT&T, and I had to go online to activate my phone, then plug my phone into iTunes to download the carrier update. Activation online was fast, but the phone didn't get registered to AT&T for another 45 minutes afterwards.

4. p c macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue. Lte works fine but no calls, text or voicemail.

I'm on att, currently on hold for an hour.

5. Taco1933 thread starter macrumors 6502

I turned on lte for data and voice. When I switched it over to data only, it worked. I thought I needed it to be data and voice for volte.

6. 335NJ macrumors newbie

Did you put your old SIM into the phone? Because that's why you're not making calls if you did.

7. FirePak macrumors regular

I'm having the same issue, Just tried working it out with ATT on twitter. They said to wait until tomorrow as they are having network switchover issues? This is on a iPhone 6 +. My wife's 6 is working perfectly.

8. Downs2011 macrumors regular

Got my wife a 6 and hers had the same problem. Went to Att and swapped out the sim, problem solved!! Oh and I bought it straight from Apple!

9. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

10. dotme macrumors 6502a

Same for me. Two ATT iPhones arrived today. Mine activated but couldn't make voice calls. LTE worked. I had bars (or dots...lol) but no outbound calling and inbound rolled straight to voicemail. Went to ATT and a sim replacement fixed it for me as well.

11. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

I did in store pickup this morning. The genius wanted me to make a call before I left. Seeing this leaves me wondering if he knew something he wasn't saying ..
    My call went through, but I wasn't home to take it:D

12. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Use it like a smartphone... Calling is so 1998 ;)

13. FirePak, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

FirePak macrumors regular

New sim worked for me, Visual voicemail is still MIA but I can at least make/receive calls.

Edit: Visual VM came up about 10 minutes after this post. All is working great with the sim swap.

14. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Am on hold with AT&T while they try another attempt to activate my 6. If this doesn't work, will have to go to the store tomorrow (30 miles from my country home) so they can switch out the faulty sim.

15. Taco1933 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was wrong when I said I had it resolved earlier. I just saw the call timer counting and assumed it was calling. It wasn't. It was ringing busy. Today I called Verizon. They had me turn off my phone, did something on their end, had me turn it back on, and it worked. So just a network issue in the transition, not a phone issue.

16. trioinmyhead macrumors newbie

Had the same issue on the wife's new iPhone 6. Mine works fine but hers wouldn't make or receive calls. A quick trip to the AT&T store resulted in a new SIM card and immediately solved the issue.