iPhone 6 won't make calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Beachguy, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

My stepson's iPhone 6 won't make, or accept, calls. He has replaced it with a new iPhone 7, but this has got me really curious as to how or why this would happen. I don't know any more about what the symptoms are, but does this make sense? Internet connectivity is fine, and calls over IP works. Part of me is suspicious of the store he took it to (not an AT&T store but and authorized agent.) Apparently it was a problem with the SIM card connection (he is using the same SIM card on his new phone, plus a second AT&T store (a real one) swapped SIM cards and it didn't matter.)

Any thoughts? Would this be repairable? Would it be worth repairing to sell it, perhaps, or keep as an emergency backup phone?

2. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Seems to be no one has thoughts... I should know not to post such things on weekend! LOL!!!

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Have you taken it to Apple to have them run a diagnosis? They should tell what the problem is.

4. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Try this, perhaps they didn't assign the serial number correctly to the account perhaps.

https://www.att.com/connectme/deviceactivation.html

Try the Upgrade button, but if that fails, maybe try the BYOD option next. It'll ask for your devices serial number and the SIM card number during the activation process.

The SIM in the iPhone 6 should work just fine on the iPhone 7, though generally they give you a new SIM card when getting a new phone.

5. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Newton: He went to both an authorized retailer and an official AT&T store. They only said it was not recognizing the SIM.

Famous: He used the phone for a couple of years, so I know it was properly assigned. It just decided not to work one morning.