iPhone 6 worth buying at this time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rossrc54, Mar 23, 2015.

1. rossrc54 macrumors newbie

Hi my iPhone 5s is failing to update to iOS 8.2, sent it to them and they said I need to pay £200 for a repair as they can't fix it due to a scratch on the screen :mad: So I am thinking of buying the iPhone 6 at £535. Is it worth buying this right now? Is the next generation iPhone coming out soon?

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Halfway through the lifecycle now and another iPhone is due in September. It's up to you, but I would hold off until then if at all possible. The i6 isn't a significant upgrade on the 5S anyway, screen size aside. If your 5S is totally unusable and you don't have any other phones lying around then it's a different story...

3. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Two questions:

-Who is "them/they"?

-Should you be listening to "them" if "they" believe a scratched screen is preventing your phones software from updating?

To answer your question, it's entirely up to you. A new iPhone is probably six months away, so that's plenty of time to enjoy the iPhone 6/6 plus.

However, if I were you, I'd get a second opinion and try to figure out what's really wrong with your 5S.

4. rossrc54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cant access my iPhone at all at the moment and definitely need a good one until September so if you were me would you buy the 5s or the 6 for £70 more?

----------

sent it to official apple repair and they can't fix it.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Well, I would buy the i6 purely on resale value. However, in your shoes I would buy a good condition used 5S and save my pennies for the 6S in September.

6. rossrc54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it be worth it going to the apple store and see what they can do? Will they say the same thing or any chance they can be a little more generous?

7. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

why can't you access your phone? is it because you cannot update to 8.2?

OR Apple still has it OR it cannot update and other things wrong?

I had a work 5S until May of last year when work pulled phones from users, so I reverted back to my iPhone 4 for 6 months (that felt like it lasted 2 years) and my home button didn't work 85% of the time, my battery was draining fast, and everything was slow.

I could have bought the 5S or something relatively cheap as places were making deals. I held off until the iPhone 6 came out and pre-ordered and got it first day.

IF, your phone is working just does't update to the latest OS and all else is "fine" I'd just hold out.

The iPhone 6 is definitely nice. a huge upgrade from iPhone 4. but from the 5S...both have slo-mo and TouchID. bigger screen is nice.

**sorry if this isn't too helpful.**

EDITED/UPDATED: I didn't realize you didn't send it to APPLE but an Apple-repair place. I'd suggest taking it to Apple Store. a scratched screen shouldn't deter them...unless the screen is popping off or the sides are dented and that interferes with the screen (since at that point they don't like to do much to the phone, not that it cannot be fixed)

8. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Interesting. Have you had it longer than a year? If not, you should be able to make an appointment at an Apple Store and have the Genius Bar people look at it. I can't imagine what the scratch would have to do with anything unless they determined that the phone had been opened up or had been submerged in water.

If I was in your position and needed a phone asap, I'd get a refurbished iPhone 6. It *should* still be under the 1 year Apple warranty and if it isn't (due to the refurb company taking the phone apart or something like that) then the refurb company will warrant their work for a period of time. That should get you to the next release

This is all assuming you are definitely getting the new release this year.

9. rossrc54 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not under warranty but should they still be able to fix it without a fee?

----------

I there any chance there will be a big difference between the 6 and the new release? Also do you know when the price might drop for the 6?

10. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I think (and you should all to verify this) that they will at least diagnose the problem for you for free. The chances are good that it's a software related issue that can easily be fixed by them or you.

You should go to the mac rumors home page and go to the iPhone 6S rumors link to get an idea of what's likely to come this year.

11. nordique macrumors 6502a

OP

If it meets your needs, then yes its certainly worth buying.

12. 1k9 macrumors member

Useless post
    Who cares if it won't update to 8.2
    List the other problems your having with the phone, does it work or what?

13. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

14. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

who knows....I say that because I have had easy-going Genius' there and some that aren't as helpful. But , they should be able to give you a reason for the problem...and then you can figure out what method to fix, if it involves paying them or doing a restore.

15. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Who knows. You still haven't described the actual issue with your phone. Did the iOS update process brick your phone? Or is there something going on that prevents you from updating the phone? Or is the phone just dead?

Asking about a new phone presumes that your 5s can't be repaired (or you just don't want to pay for any repairs).