Iphone 6 worth it when owning iPad mini retina?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MyAppleWorld, Jan 22, 2015.

1. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

Hello

I currently have an iPhone 5 and purchased an iPad mini retina in the summer. I've had the phone two years and the main decision for getting the ipad was being tired of the small display, particularly on the couch.

I have a 13" retina mbp which I used to use a lot when I needed a big screen but since getting the iPad i never seem to use it!

Day by day I seem to be using the iPad more and more.i carry it around everywhere in the house along with my iPhone. I've recently started taking it to work and using it at lunchtime in the break out room for some web browsing.

I am fed up with the iPhone for the poor camera and it does feel kinda sluggish. I want to buy a new phone but it feels like it would be a waste of money when my iPad does so much now?

Anyone else in this predicament?

2. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I upgrade from a 5 to a 6 and have the mini retina.
    I would not get the 6+ and keep the mini. But the 6 is still a lot smaller than the mini and you will use the mini when it is convenient to use it. Then you will carry the 6 when you don't want to be encumbered by the mini.

Is your 5 really going to be fun to use over the next 8 to 9 months before the 6s comes out? Nah. It has had a two year run and it is time to move on.

Ideally though you were get the 6 and the Air 2. Then sell both your 5 and the mini. That is what you really want.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have an iPhone 6, iPad rMini, and a 13" MBP. All have their own place and uses. The MBP gets used the least and I could honestly do without it, but it is nice to have when I want to use it.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Got to have both a iPhone 6+ and iPad Air 2 cellular to take care of my needs. Do not want to cruise the Internet on my phone;)

5. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Have 6+ rMini and 2011 13" air

They all get used. RMini has taken the back seat but typing on it now. Wouldn't trade it up

6. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

the iPhone 5 feels sluggish to you?
    I have an ipad 4 (Same A6) and an iPhone 6.
    Sure theres a stutter here and there on the iPad but to be honest, the iPhone 6 isn't a night and day difference. I could do everything I do on the iPhone 6 on my iPad.
    save your money and spend it/save it elsewhere, i hear the iphone 6s will have much better internals, perhaps save for that?

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I've never seen the need of having a phablet and a tablet, even more so when you claim to not use your phone for browsing. Why have such a big phone in that case?
    Small phone, tablet and laptop....or big phone and laptop for me.

8. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Everyone has their preference. For me it's a 6 Plus for work and out and about but the iPad Air 2 when I'm home. No way I want to surf the internet on my phone on the couch when I can use a bigger screen iPad.

9. ttNB macrumors 6502

ttNB

:apple: 6Plus for when I'm out, at work or waiting in the truck for a few. The Air2 for home, with no work involved, not always though. I try to save work for my rMBP.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It just doesn't seem worth the trade-off in portability if you're just going to use it lightly like any other mobile phone IMO.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

Have the 6+, rMini, and MBP 13"

iPad gets used the least but that was the case even before I got the 6 Plus

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have a 6 plus, ipad rmini and an ipad air. They all get used. The 6 plus is my go to device that I always have with me, the mini is my portable tablet that I use for commuting and the Air is for use at home.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

So you lug a 6+ and an iPad around with you? Sorry but I just don't see the point. A standard i6 and an iPad yes, but surely the 6+ should be sufficient by itself when out and about.

14. Rina11 macrumors member

Rina11

I have a iphone 6 plus, iPad and a macbook air 13 inch I use all of them on a daily basis for different things .......

15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The 6 plus isn't that big. I've been using phablets since 2012 so the size of the screen isn't that big to me anymore. The ipad mini is better for watching videos. I don't carry them both everyday. I suppose everyone is different though.

16. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Thanks for this thread.

A 6 owner, looking to get retina mini. I just compare my iphone 6 to a collegue mini retina minutes ago and size are still quite different. Used to own ipad 2 but the thing is so sluggish after ios8 i have to sell it.

Ipad mini is with A7 64 bit so i hope for a better speed. Please get one now before they took it out of the store in favor of mini 3. u dont really need that finger scan and extra $100.

I want to use mine mainly for watching series in my bed. I guess u can hold it with one hand.

17. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Another 6 Plus and rMini owner here! The 6 Plus is not THAT big, some make it sound like you need a backpack to carry it around :D. The 6 Plus is always in my pocket, and the rMini is handy for flights. I will say I use the rMini less than I used to--the plus is pretty versatile.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You have your preferences and I have mine. I choose the larger phone for the larger keyboard. Made all the difference in my typing as I handle over 100 emails and texts in the field on a daily basis.

Is that ok with you? Not asking for your approval. :rolleyes:

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's my opinion, and relevant to the thread. A 6+, an iPad and a Mac is OTT for most folk. Especially an iPad Mini and a 6+.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

and we each have a right to our opinion. But you are telling others that what they are doing makes no sense even though it is their choice and their opinion. That is the difference :p

21. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Lug?

6+ weighs 6.07 ounces
    Both iPad models weigh less than 1 pound.

:rolleyes:

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The 6+ weighs a ton compared to the 5S, and coming from one you certainly notice it. Nobody can say that they don't feel the 6+ in their pocket. It's a heavy phone.

23. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I don't think anyone claimed that they don't feel their phone in their pocket. You make it sound like a huge burden to carry.

24. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Comparatively, it is. Quite the heaviest phone I've owned for donkeys' years.

25. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I guess you just need something to complain about.