iPhone 6 worth the wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaxFlex, Jun 10, 2014.

1. MaxFlex macrumors newbie

Hello. I'm a new (potential) iPhone user (previously owned a iPod) and after doing TONS and Tons of research i was truly impressed by the single core performance of the iPhone 5s as compared to, say, the Galaxy s5 (even though it's water proof).

do you guys think it's worth for me to wait for iPhone 6 or should i just wing it and get the Iphone 5s? because iPhone 5 to iPhone 5s was a major difference (at least in terms of specifications specifically the CPU)

2. danerieber macrumors newbie

I think you should wait for the iPhone 6. The release is very soon and you will feel left out of you have an iPhone 5S when everyone else is getting their iPhone 6.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Depends how often you upgrade and what your needs are.

The new phone will likely be in September / October.

If I had a decent phone if just wait at this point.

4. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

It's only a couple of months away, save your money and get the 6, It's freaking awesome to own the new iphone on release day haha

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

6. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

oh yeah. walking out of the apple store, and getting cheered on is awesome!

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It will probably be sometime in November before the i6 has decent stock levels in the UK and I'm not sure I can wait that long. I'm seriously looking at the Samsung S5/Note 3 and HTC One M8 as I'm craving LTE and a much bigger screen.

8. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

If I was asking myself this question, I would do some research and roughly calculate how much it'd cost me to buy a 5s now, then sell it in October and buy an iPhone 6.

Let's say the difference ends up being something like 100 quid (just for the sake of argument, not a serious estimate). Divided by the number of months left until October, would it be worth paying 100/4 = £25 per month for four months to have that 5s to use until the 6 comes out?

EDIT: oops just realized that the poster above me isn't the OP, please disregard the currency choice & number of months in my post. Sorry but I CBA to rewrite :D

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

The LG G3 is the only phone that I might consider jumping to. IMHO, none of those other phones are worth it so I would wait for the iphone 6.

At least wait a month to see what the G3 is like then make a decision.

10. briannaharbor macrumors member

I would wait as long as possible. Usually "opening day" iphones still have some glitches. I would wait for a month or so after release to get it. They will usually have fixed the bugs by then.

11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Not only will the 6 have a larger screen it will let you do thing you can't do now. Such as check emails, surf the web and take pictures.

12. forcetactic macrumors 6502

If you thought the 5 to 5S was major, then the 5S to 6 is going to be gigantic

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I didn't. The 5S has Touch ID, a slightly better camera and a longer lasting battery. Oh and a better processor which yields zero operational benefits as of yet. Nothing major at all.

14. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Dude, slightly nothing! I use both a 5, 5C, and 5S. The 5S is 100 times better than any 5 I've ever used before. The camera is so much better, has touch ID, the phone is 64 bit Architecture, with the A7 (of which both the 5C and 5 do NOT have), AND the M7. I'll let you know, I sometimes forget the 5S is so good since I use it onm a daily basis, then I use my 5C and boy, I like my 5S a lot more. The battery life is so much better than the 5/5C, even with my crappy T0Mobile coverage at 1-2 bar 24/7.

Yeah, nothing major at aCROCK A CRAP!

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The camera is better but it isn't light years better. The i5 is every bit as fast as the 5S in all real world tasks. As for the battery, it lasts no longer than the i5 did running iOS6.

16. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

How have these things enhanced your experience?

I love my 5S because of TouchID and the camera, but without those it's just a slightly faster 5 to me.

17. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

It is a big change for me...I can move really quickly and multitask and the 5S doesnt even so much as hesitate.

18. aneftp macrumors 601

The benchmarks from the 4S to the iphone 5 showed 2x performance yet real time day to day activity between the 4s and iphone 5 showed very little difference to the common person.

Same can be said between benchmarks from the iphone 5 to iphone 5s. Again 5s shown to be almost 2x as fast as iphone 5 http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/5

Yet common task day to day shows very little difference for the regular joe dong email, texting , web browsing etc. Stuff most people 90% of the time on their iphone daily.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/23/i...-difference-for-real-world-apps-except-video/

I suspect iPhone 6 will be the same. 2x as fast on paper. Not much real difference between the 5s and 6 in real day to day activity.

19. briannaharbor macrumors member

I can see what you're saying, and I agree. In all honesty, my current 5 is more than fine in terms of how quickly it operates; I don't really need it to be faster. I think that the six will offer a few little nice things, but I ultimately think that I'm just going to switch out of apple, because i like to feel like i've gotten a NEW phone, completely different from the current one. Nothing against apple, I just like to change my interface every so often.

20. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I remember walking out of the AT&T store on July 29, 2007 (first in, first out) to a huge round of applause. :apple:

21. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Do you have a current Smartphone?
    Would you ever buy a previous-year model iPhone for a cheaper cost?

I am waiting for the iPhone 6. I have an iPhone 4 (work bought me an iPhone 5S...then months later pulled work phones back) and am holding out.

My thoughts are: I want the latest phone to get the longest life out of it before upgrading.

When my wife and I purchased our first smartphones/iPhones, I bought the iP4 and she bought the cheaper, previous-year 3GS. She said she didn't need the latest & greatest phone.

There are MANY good deals on iPhone 5S phones now as carriers are trying to reduce stock and sell as much as they can.

the 5S is a GREAT phone. the iPhone 6 might (probably?) have a larger screen but probably will be hard to get right away.