iPhone 60-80GB??? How long will it take?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mechanesthesia, Mar 11, 2009.

1. mechanesthesia macrumors member

I am in a dilemma with the iPhone.
    The concept of an iPhone is a dream product for me, ever since it came out.

iPod + Phone

No need to carry both your iPod and Cellphone around everywhere.
    And trust me, I bring my iPod everywhere I go.

I have a 5.5 Gen 80GB iPod. And right after I bought it, the 120GB model came out for the same price. And soon after the iTouch and iPhone.

The reason I got an iPod is because I am a music lover. I am discovering new music almost every day. I have a big music collection, both digital and CDs, it's constantly growing. The iPod was a revolutionary idea, I have the portability to bring my entire music collection everywhere I go. And I am not chained to my computer or my car or home stereo.

This differed from other mp3's players in the market, which would only let you download a handful of songs or a small portion of your library. The iPod has a large capacity, so this is not a problem, you can put everything in there.

So the point is, when the iPhone came out, my eyes got big with excitement...

But when I saw 4GB and 8GB.
    Pass...
    16GB.
    Pass...

I just keep waiting and waiting. I think I need around 60GB [a little less] to upload all the music I have.
    And I keep getting sick of my cheap LG flip phone.

So how long do you guys think until the iPhone reaches 60GB?

Then it will be a true "ALL-in-ONE" device.

And hopefully in the future, it will incorporate more Japanese-level technology and add your debit cards, library cards, bus passes, etc. to it.

Then you only need one thing in your pocket. Other than your keys.

2. mynameisrichard macrumors member

This is how I used to see it. I used to want to carry my music around with my all the time just in case I wanted to listen to a certain song, but in reality, I cannot possibly listen to all the music I have every single day. I've owned a white 3G iPhone since the day it has been out and honestly, the more I have it, the less music I keep on it. Yes, I listen to it almost every single day, but I, personally, have different moods for music every day. I have almost 200GB of music on my iTunes and there's not even and iPod that carries that much. So I'll tell you this. Just upload what you think you'll be listening to for the next week and then change your music around every few days. It's not much work at all and for myself, I keep about 10GB of music on there and I surely don't touch a lot of it. So just get an iPhone and you won't regret it.

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

An iPhone with that amount of space won't be possible for at least 1 to 2 years since the iPhone would need a 64 GB flash chip, which likely won't be produced for a little while Something that's much more likely with the next release is a 32 GB iPhone.

4. SuperKat macrumors regular

I Hear You

I have had my white 3G iPhone for about two months now and I felt the same way. I have about 5,000 songs in my library and was bummed that I couldn't load them all on there, however the situation has forced me to make one hell of a "Best Of" playlist!
    Lots of U2 on there though!

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

At the very earliest, 2010. Either Apple would have to redesign the phone to fit 2 flash chips in there or someone would have to develop a 64GB chip. The 32GB iPhone is a real possibility (if not a necessity) in the next update. For anything bigger, you'll have to just wait and keep looking for news that a 64GB chip has been produced.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

What you need, is the holy grail of portable computing: totally reliable broadband access anywhere, anytime. Then you no longer need massive local storage. Instead, stream from a home server.

Alternatively, buy a phone with replaceable storage. Then you can easily swap in 16/32 GB chips with different song sets.

7. bstreiff macrumors regular

There'll be a 64GB iPhone probably about the same time we have a 128GB iPod Touch.

(The motherboard on the Touch has space for two flash chips; the iPhone only has room for one.)

8. ichabodkky macrumors member

Sounds to me like you need to invest in Simplify Media. It is a GREAT little app in the app store. It used to be free but is now like $4. You install a helper application in your desktop and it will stream you entire library from your computer to your phone. For those of you who have WAY out of control libraries, this is your solution. It will work just fine, even over Edge.

9. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

How I understand you...

I simply don't use the Ipod capabilities of the Iphone. 16gb is clearly not enough for me. I'll always have to carry my iphone and my ipod with me

10. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

I will certainly appreciate the day the iPhone is 64 GB and above. I practically never use the iPod section of the iPhone, currently. I, too, enjoy having all of my music with me. I have a 120 GB iPod Classic that I mainly use in the car and at home because I rarely have an opportunity to listen to enough music elsewhere during the day through an iPod as opposed to some other means. Right now, I keep 2009 & 2008 music on my 16 GB iPhone, with the exception of some classics like The Beatles.

I don't, however, have any desire to put my debit or credit cards onto my phone. To me, that's as foolish as putting those mini credit cards onto your keychain. You lose your keys, and someone's got your car, your bank account, and your house. No thanks! The iPhone has a long way to go for security options as it is, anyway.

Lastly, on a side note, I think it's quite negligent of Apple not to include Nike+ compatibility on the iPhone or iPod Classic. Here I have each, and yet I need a nano just to be able to utilize Nike+. Ridiculous, if you ask me.

11. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

The questions isn't "When will 64Gb+ cards be made", it is "When will the price of 64Gb+ SSD become reasonable".

12. Vanilla Cocoa macrumors member

Technically, the iPhone can use 2 flash chips. Not sure about the 3G, but some 2G iPhones had 2 flash chips stacked on top of each other (two 4GB chips).

13. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I agree that a 64 gb iPhone won't be around until at least 2010. For about a year I was waiting on a 32 gb iPhone for the same reason - have just one device instead of two. I even convinced myself that I could make a 16gb version work. But I couldn't get past the $30 data plan that I really don't need.