iPhone 64 GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fabianjj, May 9, 2009.

1. fabianjj macrumors 6502

I'm very interested in buying an iPhone, but since it's a bit of a clunky device I'm going to wait until there is an at least 64 GB version so that it would suffice to replace my 80 GB Classic.

Does it seem realistic to hope for a 32 GB version this summer and a 64 GB version arund summer next year?
    Please share your thoughts.

Considering the way Apple has doubled the flash storage yearly for the Nano (ok almost) since the first version launched.

2. ptsube macrumors 6502

That's realistic. I think they will certainly release a 32GB this year. Then a 64GB within the next year.

What do you mean by clunky?

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah I could probably see a 64GB iPhone next summer. And of course the 32GB this summer.

4. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

I think it's a possibility to an extent. But I can see the new iPhone coming in 16GB and 32GB this year. There should also be a 64GB iPod touch.

5. fabianjj thread starter macrumors 6502

By clunky I mean that it's too big to not carry all my music, because I'm not going to carry around an iPhone AND a Classic, then I might as well use my current LG viewty which has a decent camera and excellent video capture.

6. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I would say get a 16 or 32GB iPhone this summer and just carry the classic in a backpack or something. If you're not going somewhere with a backpack (long trip, car ride), I would argue that no one on the planet would need 64GB of music. Really... think about how many songs and artists you actually listen to, its not 64GB...

7. fabianjj thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I don't listen to every single song all the time on my iPod, but which songs I listen to is very varied, and it's annoying when I want to listen to one specific song or album out of those ~55 GB and not having it with.

8. rednano74 macrumors member

It's a convenience factor. I have over 40GB of music and growing. I listen to most of those artists. By having a larger storage, one does not have to worry about which albums to put on the phone and which ones to delete to make room for new albums...yes I am one of those album snobs. Also, space can be used for podcasts, tv shows, movies, pictures, apps, etc. So 64GB is not a lot to some of us.

9. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

From an older thread:

It's possible for this summer, but I'm not expecting it till next summer.

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

This is way down the road, but could a 128GB iPhone even be possible? I'm not up to par with my flash memory/prices/size knowledge.

11. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

i have 84 GBs of music its around 17400 songs! and i know pretty much whatever comes on when itunes is open! But realistically i could see a 120 GB iphone in the next few years. seeing how fast and how small parts are becoming

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

When I got my first iPhone in 2007, I had 5GB of music. Now in 2009 I have 18GB. Sure I might not listen to music I did two years ago, but that doesn't mean it'd be nice to be able to carry all my media content around. With all the videos, etc I have in iTunes its about 25GB. I'm only a freshman in high school too so I can only imagine that my library will keep growing rapidly over the next 8 years.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think we'll a 250GB model this year.
    Why bother with the low storage, I want 3 years worth of music on my phone at all times :D

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This seems very realistic to me.

15. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

It'd be 256GB...and it would be friggin awesome. And friggin expensive.

16. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

"Hello this is bob from the apple store! we have a brand new amazing product just released. would you like to sell your car or sell your left kidney today?"

haha im anxious to see the continuation of the iphone development for years to come!

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Some people ask for too much, I got a 16GB and never filled it more than half way and I got plenty of music, games, videos and stuff to keep me busy for days. The battery probably would be dead by the time I'd be able to see/hear 5% of it.

18. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Maybe I'm crazy, but I mainly use my iPhone for it's phone features, voice, text, email. Then I use my iPod for my media. I have a 32GB iPod Touch that is where my media is, then on my 8GB iPhone I just have my favorite bands, a couple movies ( Fight Club, Office Space ) and some pictures I like to keep with me. Ultimately, two devices better suit my needs, but I know everyone is different.

19. JCastro macrumors 6502a

More is always nice. I had the thought once that it would be nice be able to have all of my music with me all the time. But the reality is even if you listen to a wide variety of stuff you still won't listen to more than 5-10gb consistently. It is just impossible. If you want access to it all all the time then look into something like Simplify Media or something that allows you to stream you iTunes music for the rare times that you just have to listen to something you don't have on you.