Iphone 6plus and photos - How to delete from phone

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chrisandersen, Mar 14, 2015.

1. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

My 64Gb 6plus has over 26Gb of photos on it. In iTunes, settings, Photos it says that iCloud photos is "on". So, the question is, how do I delete them from the iPhone and not from iCloud. When I try and delete from the phone, it says "This photo will be deleted from the iCloud library on all of your devices.
    This is not what I want to do. Just want to clear up some memory for the phone, as only 12 Gb left.

2. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

You could restore your phone. And when setting up iCloud Photo Library choose optimize storage on your phone. You will gain a lot of space this way. You could also just flip the optimize button right now. But that way will only delete hi res photos when needed.

3. crashoverride77, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

If you have "optimize storage" turned on it will do this automatically, people are not exactly sure when and how much but it seems to start clearing space of old pictures after about a month.
    If you want to clear up space immediatly it is a bit of a hassle since you cannot delete manually from settings-usage and as you said deleting them in the photos app also deletes them from IPL.
    Therefore the best way to clear space manually is to turn IPL off (AFTER everything is uploaded) than go into your camera roll/photostream and delete everything including the recently delted album, than turn IPL back on again with the optimize storage setting.