iPhone 6S 1715mAh battery confirmed in Keynote?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhayes444, Sep 9, 2015.

1. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

This was a screenshot taken from the keynote. During the 3D touch video, when showing the haptic engine, Apple shows the battery in the CG mockup of the iPhone, and the battery can clearly be seen as 1715mAh. Do you think this pretty much confirms that size battery in the 6S? Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 3.02.56 PM.png

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

That is pretty much a confirmation, yes.

3. bhayes444, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

bhayes444 thread starter macrumors 6502a

From the looks of it, if there was no Taptic engine, the battery could've been even larger than it was on the 6. I just hope the battery claims on the spec sheet are spot on (the same as the 6 series).

4. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

yup. that would mean 7 hours for the 6 and 8.5 hours for the 6+

people on these boards who use their phones you always need to subtract ~3 hrs from their spec sheets

5. bhayes444 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you using the Internet LTE usage time to gauge battery life? If so, does that subtraction of about 3 hours equate to the usage you usually obtain?

6. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

yes. and apple quotes 10 for the 6

7. iceman42 macrumors regular

really apple you should put a bigger battery in ur phones.no one wants to be glued to the wall charging there phones.

8. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Is the taptinc engine going to replace the vibration motor in the 6s completely? It would be fantastic to see the horribly loud vibrate motor in the 6 be gone.

9. Damolee macrumors 6502

So battery life won't show an improvement over the 6, unless the new cpu\gpu is more power effective right?

Expect it will be about the same. Hopefully the iPhone 7's focus will be battery.

10. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

To answer my own question...
    According to iFixIt's teardown, the previous vibration motor was in the exact same place as the taptic engine is this year. Judging by the render from the 3D touch video, it appears the old vibration motor is no more. Great news!

Attached Files:

11. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

The 7's focus will be thinness according to rumors.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/06/iphone-7-thickness-ipod-touch/

12. Cheplampardfan macrumors member

Dissapointing to say the least. How the hell is this damn phones battery worse than the 6?????

13. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

The 6s battery is smaller but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's battery life is shorter. Efficiency gains could offset the reduction in capacity.

14. Cheplampardfan macrumors member

I hope you're right

15. igazza macrumors 6502a

igazza

Yes conformation, iOS 9 also has battery saving mode, I doubt these phones have a worse battery life.

16. Trailerman macrumors member

Apple are quoting identical battery life stats to the old iPhone 6 for the 6S. Smaller battery helped by a few OS efficiency savings presumably.

Personally, battery life is a real concern. I was down to buy an iPhone 6S on launch, but will now look at the Sony Xperia Z5 (2900 mAh battery vs 1715mAh) and possibly the S6 Edge+. 1 day of careful use isn't cutting it, and if I'm out and about or away from civilization, I'd rather have a couple of mm extra thickness and some chunkier power.

Looks like it isn't going to get any better for the iPhone 7 either, if rumours of ever increasing thinness are to be believed.

17. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Battery life on android has leapfrogged iOS. Not per milliamp, but total battery life b/c they simply put bigger batteries in there and are not horribly inefficient anymore. I agree that the battery life is a real concern. Apple didn't even bother to add quick charge, which, if you've ever used it, is a really useful feature. You wake up in the morning and have like 2 % juice left. Aw crap, no juice for the first few hours of the morning...in the car, on the train, etc. But if you can find 10 minutes as soon as you wake up and charge, you've got 4 hours of useful life on a Samsung s6, which is enough to navigate to your morning breakfast meet up, get a little work done on the commute, etc. Bummer Apple!

18. JulianL macrumors 65816

I don't think it is in exactly the same place is it? Your photo shows the vibration motor in the process of being lifted out but, when screwed down, it is a bit lower down in the case, right next to the rear end of the lightening connector. The keynote screenshot at the top of this thread seems to me to show the haptic engine mounted slightly further into the battery area such that it takes out a part of what was space for the battery in the 6. I noticed this as they were playing the video during the keynote and immediately thought "that explains and validates the 1717mAh battery rumour. It's been made smaller because the new haptic engine has taken away about 5-10mm of height from the battery compartment".

All I can say is that 3D Touch had better be a really worthwhile improvement in how I use the phone because for my use a big price has been paid to incorporate it. All the power efficiency gains that Apple have achieved in this generation of iPhone vs the last have had to be used to compensate for having a smaller battery rather than, as I was hoping, to increase battery life.

If the rumours that surfaced about the iPhone 7 being only 6mm thick are true then we're probably going to go through the same experience next year, any gains in power efficiency from next generation components all being cancelled out by needing to cope with an even smaller battery and ending up with exactly the same overall battery life.

19. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

people if the battery is smaller there is no way it will be better battery life. if they did some type of breakthru in battery chemistry they would have bragged about it. the battery life will be same or worse. and since many complained about the 6 battery life that means you will complain about the 6S as well.

20. JulianL, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

JulianL macrumors 65816

This info is already published in the iPhone comparison table on the Apple web site which now includes the 6s and 6s Plus... http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare/

The quoted figures for the 6s and 6s Plus are identical to their 6 and 6 Plus counterparts.

Agree that if Apple had anything to shout about they would have mentioned it. Battery life is a specification that Apple publishes so it does tend to mention it when it's improved as opposed to RAM size and clock speed for instance which it doesn't publish and we only get to know from teardowns (and battery capacity falls into that category too come to think of it).

21. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Note 5 is same from note 4

Yet battery life appears better

Smaller battery doesn't mean less battery life

22. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

agree but it will definitely not mean better or they would say. people complained about 6(not me) and they will complain about the 6S batt life

23. JulianL macrumors 65816

Yup. I'm one of the people wanting more battery life. An iPhone 6/6s with the battery life of a 6 Plus would be great and I'd pay at least $100 more for that but having seen the pictures in this thread I'm not going to complain too much about the battery life not going up with the 6s. At least now, having seen the pictures, I understand why. The haptic engine has taken space that was previously used for battery so after Apple's decision to include 3D Touch the battery capacity really did have to be reduced and the engineers have actually done a reasonable job of getting enough efficiency gains from the new electronics to preserve the existing battery life.

I'm afraid that the only options I see for a step change in battery life are...

1 - Some dramatic improvement in battery chemistry to get more mAh per unit volume.
    2 - Apple backing off from it's obsession with thinness and adding 1mm or so to the thickness of the device to fit bigger batteries.
    3 - A big innovation in screen efficiency. Efficiencies in the CPU/GPU/radios/etc are going well but a step-change in screen efficiency is conceivable (variable rate refresh, local LG-type refresh, quantum dots, more efficient backlight, new type of OLED, etc).

Until one or more of those come along I can't see a huge leap in battery life on the horizon. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

At least with iOS9's new low power mode those of us who care more about battery life than performance can permanently engage power save mode to downclock the CPU. My current phone is a 5 and I already find that more than fast enough for my needs, in fact I never had any issues with the 4. I'm 99% confident that when I upgrade to the 6s I'll be able to immediately set it to permanent low power mode and still be thinking "wow, this thing is noticeably faster than my old 5".

24. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

MKBHD

[​IMG]