iPhone 6s 4k recording limit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Raima, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Raima macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I'm just curious with most expensive DSLR or Mirrorless cameras, they have a 30min restriction when recording video. This is mainly done to avoid paying a tax in europe from a law that was created to deter piracy and passing on the additional cost to the consumer.

Is there a time recording limitation on 4k when recording on the iPhone 6s?

2. ielessar macrumors regular

The only limitation I believe is how much battery and storage space you have.

3. iNinja08, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  4. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Says the badass with a European marque as his avatar.

5. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

iOS is 64bit OS, most DSLRs are not.
    This allows for probably bigger addressing spaces and that helps writing past certain limits..
    I hope someone who actually has facts .. can perhaps better educate me than my initial 'guess'.

6. iNinja08 macrumors regular

iNinja08

Oh the irony

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, you're talking about something different. Some cameras have to split video files into 2 GB chunks. They do this seamlessly and keep recording, building up more and more files. Other cameras don't have that restriction and can make a single large file.

But what the OP is talking about is cameras that are programmed to stop recording at 29 minutes and 59 seconds. There's no technical reason they have to, it's just that they're made this way.

The reason is, yes, a European tax on video cameras established in 2007 causing still cameras that shoot video to be taxed as both a still cameras AND a video camera simultaneously. They define "video camera" as anything that shoots clips longer than 30 minutes at a time. So still-camera makers program their cameras to stop before that point and, boom, they've cut their tax bill in half.

(This doesn't matter to actual video camera makers since those devices don't shoot stills and aren't being double-taxed.)

To answer the OP's question, the iPhone does not have this limitation. I guess Apple has decided to pay the tax.

8. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Thank you for that explanation, it also gave me enough useful info to google for. I appreciate you taking the time to go a bit more indepth. (and a rabbit hole of photography I ended up in (gladly))

9. Raima thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for confirming there is no recording restriction.

10. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

DSLRs also have an issue with overheating after recording for long periods of time? I thought I read that anyway. That's why even in the US most cameras have a 20-30 minute limit.