iPhone 6S/6S Plus A9 vs. NVIDIA X1 Graphics

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NickMcCandless, Sep 17, 2015.

1. NickMcCandless, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015

NickMcCandless macrumors regular

I understand we will not know until the benchmarks come around, but based on what we know about the A8 and the fact that the A9's GPU is 90% faster, how does everyone think the A9 will compare to NVIDIA's X1 GPU?

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I think the A9 will not be comparable to the X1, but the A9X might be.

3. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

Bummer, was really hoping to see the new iPhone outpower the X1.

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I don't think it has to. The A9X should still be a powerhouse. Plus what devices will use the X1, anyway?

5. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

I don't use the iPad though. I'm a heavy iPhone user so would like to see the powerhouse inside of the new iPhone. I preordered the 6S Plus so am already losing performance compared to the 6 because of the big resolution difference.

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I see. I think the A9 should make things much more comparable between the 6s and 6s Plus.

7. dmx macrumors 6502

It won't be close. Tegra X1 at peak performance uses about 10 watts or so (that's why essentially no one uses it in anything), whereas Apple Ax chips are typically limited to something closer to 3-4.5 watts. (Not sure on *exact* numbers there, but that's the jist of it)

The A9 does have a die shrink going for it compared to the X1, but not enough to put it ahead. And as I said, it's not even close to a fair comparison given different power consumptions and obviously resulting thermal differences.

8. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

By the same argument, given how non-iOS devices tend to chase specs, you'll find your X1 powering a 4K display, which automatically makes it less performant than a A9 even on an iPhone 6S+. I mean look at how Sony is pairing a 4K display with a Snapdragon 810.....

9. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

That's a very valid point. I'm just really hoping the A9 blows the socks off of the A8 because the performance boost with the A8 over the A7 was disappointing.

Especially since thee new Apple TV is a thing and only has an A8. If they want to compete in gaming they need to push the graphics and with AirPlay maybe there could be true console-quality graphics.

10. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

Really looking forward to the benchmarks coming out!

11. htc fan macrumors 6502

Sony's faking 4k, not really 4k for the UI unless watching videos..pretty pointless

12. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully the reviews and benchmarks are right around the corner with the release date now less than a week away

13. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Reviews usually come out Wednesday before it goes on sale.

14. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like the CPU info has come out about it being a dual core 1.8 GHZ CPU, any ideas on which GPU they are using based off of what we know?

15. grkm3, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

grkm3 macrumors 6502a

I have the x1 Android TV tablet running asop vanilla Android and it literally laughs at anything I throw at it.

It is like another member mentioned in a whole different power consumption league.

It's not fair to compare them but nothing in the power envelop of a phone can come close.

The things runs native doom 3 port that my pc struggled with at like 60fps.

II ran some benches and it was scoring like 100fps more then the ax8 in most gaming runs.

Here is my x1 running some benchmarks

I just ran t Rex off screen on my gs6 and scored 56fps and ran the same test on my x1 and got 115fps its 2x the gpu power of the gs6 and the gs6 is no joke

16. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

Based on what Apple has said and what we know, how much should we expect the iPhone 6S Plus to outpower the Galaxy S6 by with the CPU and the GPU?

17. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

Are there any games that really take advantage of this extra power? If so which ones?

18. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah quite a few that are specifically made for the hardware. You do know we are talking about nvidea here right lol.

There is a huge game store on the shield TV tablet and it also has full pc games in the stream section

19. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh got it! Forgot that they have games designed specifically to their X1. Would be nice to see more games take advantage of Apple's hardware, especially the A9. Look at how good Dead Trigger 2 looks and look at when that came out.

20. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah there are a few direct ports from the pc versions like doom 3 bfg edition.its like 6gb and is an exact copy (gfx) and game play as the pc version.

I am also waiting for metal gear rising revengeance to come out and a few other pc hits.

There is definitely games made directly for the x1 hardware and its gpu is a mini version of its big brothers in dedicated gaming cards sold from them

21. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

22. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

I found a believable a9 bench and they say 1.8ghz dual core and it got 66fps t Rex off screen.

That is about 9fps higher then a gs6 but not even close to the x1 that gets 115fps.

It's not even close lol

Screenshot_2015-09-21-21-17-49.png

23. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

I hope it does a little better than that. Order and Chaos 2, a WoW clone, lags quite a bit on my 6+.

24. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

That could be to poor coding also

25. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

With the reviews and benchmarks out, has anyone heard or seen which GPU is in the A9? Also anyone seen any benchmarks outside of Geekbench? Interested in seeing graphics benchmarks.