Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
I understand we will not know until the benchmarks come around, but based on what we know about the A8 and the fact that the A9's GPU is 90% faster, how does everyone think the A9 will compare to NVIDIA's X1 GPU?

Last edited:

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
I don't think it has to. The A9X should still be a powerhouse. Plus what devices will use the X1, anyway?
I don't use the iPad though. I'm a heavy iPhone user so would like to see the powerhouse inside of the new iPhone. I preordered the 6S Plus so am already losing performance compared to the 6 because of the big resolution difference.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I don't use the iPad though. I'm a heavy iPhone user so would like to see the powerhouse inside of the new iPhone. I preordered the 6S Plus so am already losing performance compared to the 6 because of the big resolution difference.
I see. I think the A9 should make things much more comparable between the 6s and 6s Plus.

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
It won't be close. Tegra X1 at peak performance uses about 10 watts or so (that's why essentially no one uses it in anything), whereas Apple Ax chips are typically limited to something closer to 3-4.5 watts. (Not sure on *exact* numbers there, but that's the jist of it)

The A9 does have a die shrink going for it compared to the X1, but not enough to put it ahead. And as I said, it's not even close to a fair comparison given different power consumptions and obviously resulting thermal differences.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA

By the same argument, given how non-iOS devices tend to chase specs, you'll find your X1 powering a 4K display, which automatically makes it less performant than a A9 even on an iPhone 6S+. I mean look at how Sony is pairing a 4K display with a Snapdragon 810.....

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
By the same argument, given how non-iOS devices tend to chase specs, you'll find your X1 powering a 4K display, which automatically makes it less performant than a A9 even on an iPhone 6S+. I mean look at how Sony is pairing a 4K display with a Snapdragon 810.....
That's a very valid point. I'm just really hoping the A9 blows the socks off of the A8 because the performance boost with the A8 over the A7 was disappointing.

Especially since thee new Apple TV is a thing and only has an A8. If they want to compete in gaming they need to push the graphics and with AirPlay maybe there could be true console-quality graphics.

more fps

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Ottawa
Sony's faking 4k, not really 4k for the UI unless watching videos..pretty pointless

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Hopefully the reviews and benchmarks are right around the corner with the release date now less than a week away

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Looks like the CPU info has come out about it being a dual core 1.8 GHZ CPU, any ideas on which GPU they are using based off of what we know?

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I have the x1 Android TV tablet running asop vanilla Android and it literally laughs at anything I throw at it.

It is like another member mentioned in a whole different power consumption league.

It's not fair to compare them but nothing in the power envelop of a phone can come close.

The things runs native doom 3 port that my pc struggled with at like 60fps.

II ran some benches and it was scoring like 100fps more then the ax8 in most gaming runs.

Here is my x1 running some benchmarks

I just ran t Rex off screen on my gs6 and scored 56fps and ran the same test on my x1 and got 115fps its 2x the gpu power of the gs6 and the gs6 is no joke

Last edited:

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Based on what Apple has said and what we know, how much should we expect the iPhone 6S Plus to outpower the Galaxy S6 by with the CPU and the GPU?

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
I have the x1 Android TV tablet running asop vanilla Android and it literally laughs at anything I throw at it.

It is like another member mentioned in a whole different power consumption league.

It's not fair to compare them but nothing in the power envelop of a phone can come close.

The things runs native doom 3 port that my pc struggled with at like 60fps.

II ran some benches and it was scoring like 100fps more then the ax8 in most gaming runs.

Here is my x1 running some benchmarks

I just ran t Rex off screen on my gs6 and scored 56fps and ran the same test on my x1 and got 115fps its 2x the gpu power of the gs6 and the gs6 is no joke
Are there any games that really take advantage of this extra power? If so which ones?

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Are there any games that really take advantage of this extra power? If so which ones?

Yeah quite a few that are specifically made for the hardware. You do know we are talking about nvidea here right lol.

There is a huge game store on the shield TV tablet and it also has full pc games in the stream section

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Yeah quite a few that are specifically made for the hardware. You do know we are talking about nvidea here right lol.

There is a huge game store on the shield TV tablet and it also has full pc games in the stream section
Ahh got it! Forgot that they have games designed specifically to their X1. Would be nice to see more games take advantage of Apple's hardware, especially the A9. Look at how good Dead Trigger 2 looks and look at when that came out.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Ahh got it! Forgot that they have games designed specifically to their X1. Would be nice to see more games take advantage of Apple's hardware, especially the A9. Look at how good Dead Trigger 2 looks and look at when that came out.

Yeah there are a few direct ports from the pc versions like doom 3 bfg edition.its like 6gb and is an exact copy (gfx) and game play as the pc version.

I am also waiting for metal gear rising revengeance to come out and a few other pc hits.

There is definitely games made directly for the x1 hardware and its gpu is a mini version of its big brothers in dedicated gaming cards sold from them

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I found a believable a9 bench and they say 1.8ghz dual core and it got 66fps t Rex off screen.

That is about 9fps higher then a gs6 but not even close to the x1 that gets 115fps.

It's not even close lol

Screenshot_2015-09-21-21-17-49.png

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
With the reviews and benchmarks out, has anyone heard or seen which GPU is in the A9? Also anyone seen any benchmarks outside of Geekbench? Interested in seeing graphics benchmarks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.