Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadiduekappa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
Naples - Italy
Hi, I try to search info about this but I can't find anything... Could someone had iPhone 6S explain or post a video to show how they work? The appareance is smooth or not? And if sometimes they still not showing up? I hope 2gb of ram can help...

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
Runs great

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 223

dadiduekappa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
Naples - Italy
Yes but it would be nice if they pop-up smoothly like the default keyboard and not like a mincraft block. This is what I expected from a OS smooth like iOS.

Reactions: fardeenah

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
The problem with 3rd party keyboards isn't that they are slow. It is because sometimes they don't even come up or come up blank. Swype, Swiftkey, Fleksy all run fine on my 6+ when they don't vanish.

This does not happen on the iPhone 6s. Smooth sailing

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
This does not happen on the iPhone 6s. Smooth sailing

Although I can admire the spec bump of the 6S I highly doubt the hardware is the reason why a feature introduced over a year ago in iOS 8 now seems to work. That would imply Apple released software that was intended for future hardware (which is not apple like considering they control both hardware and software). o_O

Reactions: The Doctor11

Mactaculious

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
The problem with 3rd party keyboards isn't that they are slow. It is because sometimes they don't even come up or come up blank. Swype, Swiftkey, Fleksy all run fine on my 6+ when they don't vanish.

I kept running into the recurring issue of the keyboard defaulting back to the iOS keyboard after setting it to the Swype keyboard. Pretty annoying. Wish Apple would do more to support 3rd party keyboards but I can see why they want to force users to use their keyboard instead of a buggy 3rd party one.

Last edited:

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
For me, 3rd party keyboards became better with iOS 9 final betas on my 6+. Notice that in 9.1 where even better. On my 6s +, at least Next keyboard, works with out a hiccup but it was pretty good on the 6 too.

Reactions: nicolas.holao

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
All the annoyances remain. Keyboard randomly reverting, especially in Messages, keyboard sometimes just not coming up at all, annoying delays before keyboard loads sometimes, jerky or no animation.

The only thing that is improved with the keyboard I've seen is that the annoying delays are somewhat less frequent and shorter. I suspect this is just the result of tossing more raw power (RAM, CPU, storage, etc) at the problem.

Reactions: g75d3

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Still not very reliable for me. Also, the 3rd party keyboards don't support force-touch, so between that and Siri, it's a pretty huge incentive to stick with the stock keyboard.

dadiduekappa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
Naples - Italy
Still not very reliable for me. Also, the 3rd party keyboards don't support force-touch, so between that and Siri, it's a pretty huge incentive to stick with the stock keyboard.
If I remeber, in the earlier beta of iOS9, where two finger cursor was available also for iPhone, it was working also in a third party keyboard. Are you sure force touch don't enable cursor movement?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If I remeber, in the earlier beta of iOS9, where two finger cursor was available also for iPhone, it was working also in a third party keyboard. Are you sure force touch don't enable cursor movement?
It's possible that the keyboard was implementing a custom version of the cursor (Next keyboard comes to mind). If there is a trackpad feature in swiftkey, I can't get it to work, for one.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I keep having Swype default back to the built in keyboard on my 6+. It's getting annoying every time I want to reply to a text. I do have Swype dragged to the top of the list in the keyboard settings.

Canceled
Nov 2, 2016
Runs great

Hi, which keyboard is that? I am greatly interested in having the comma key on the left of the spacebar... I am in desperate search of an app that would allow me to do this, if not on my current iPhone 6, maybe on a future 6s/7/7s Plus.

Thank you!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi, which keyboard is that? I am greatly interested in having the comma key on the left of the spacebar... I am in desperate search of an app that would allow me to do this, if not on my current iPhone 6, maybe on a future 6s/7/7s Plus.

Thank you!
Seems like that's the Swype keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.