iPhone 6s/6s Plus battery test results only

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by giodelgado, Oct 7, 2015.

?

Are you happy with battery life?

1. No

2. Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. giodelgado, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

giodelgado macrumors regular

giodelgado

Rumor says Samsung chips have 20%~ less battery life:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/3nn00t/live_test_results_iphone_6s_samsung_14nm_vs_tsmc

Do you have a Samsung or TSMC chip???

Find out!:
    http://demo.hiraku.tw/CPUIdentifier/

Don't panic if you have a Sammy chip, RUN A TEST!
    (might take more than 4 hours!!!)

Download:
    https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/app/geekbench-3/id683676887?mt=8

Just to make it more "standarized" please use the following settings:
    (cell signal and quality can affect results, if you can't enable airplane mode post it on the results)

Fully Charged Batt
    Airplane mode on (no cell/wifi/BT)
    Lowest screen brightness
    Restart phone
    Close all apps in the task switcher

Post results as follows:

Model: iPhone 6s or Plus
    Chip: Sam or TSMC
    Storage: does it matter?
    Result: (image or it didn't happen!)

2. jlevy73 macrumors member

Model: Iphone 6s plus
    Chip: Sammy
    Storage: 64GB

Used the screen dimmer option but kept wireless signal on. Will run again tonight with airplane mode on.

Geek battery.png

3. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I'm one of the 21.3% 6s users who has a Samsung chip. An hour and 29 minutes into the test I'm at 64% battery.

4. Dinozero macrumors newbie

I feel ya bro. 128gb 6S here Samsung and I nearly completed the battery test it looked like I was gonna get 3:50-4:10.

Another user here has our phone with the tsmc and she got 5:30

5. macman5 macrumors newbie

You should consider adding the model number of your iPhone to this. I got the iPhone 6S and 6S+ both for Tmobile Model A1688 (GSM) and Model A1687 (GSM) for the Plus and they came with samsung chip.

While my friend got a 6S+ the ATT version with Band 30 Model A1634 and his came with a TSMC chip.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Not even sure why they made two different models GSM phones this year.

6. jlevy73 macrumors member

The ATT model uses band 30 which is exclusive to their network (A1634). Model A1687 is for the other US networks and does have band 30.

7. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I'm definitely getting a mophie case at some point, but they're not compatible with the 6s yet.

8. giodelgado thread starter macrumors regular

giodelgado

The wait is over and results are in:

Model: iPhone 6s
    Chip: Samsung

Brightness set to minimum
    Screen on
    Airplane Mode On
    Didn't reboot (forgot)

Now if someone can post this result on a TSMC chip...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Phoenix24, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

Phoenix24 macrumors newbie

Phoenix24

Test conditions as above
    Model iPhone 6s
    Chip TSMC
    Storage 128GB

Wow the difference is pretty huge o_O

image.png

10. jlevy73 macrumors member

Wow, sad day when the iPhone 6S+ gets beaten by the 6S.

11. Septembersrain, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Model iPhone 6s
    Chip TSMC
    Storage 128GB

Set to dim
    Airplane mode
    All apps closed
    Rebooted prior to test

Edit: Another variable, I'm running iOS 9.1 beta 4.

[​IMG]

12. Dented macrumors 6502a

I think that renders your result invalid to be honest, far too many variables depending on what apps are doing in the background..

13. Dinozero macrumors newbie

Okay. Based on not one or two but several users we are seeing 1.5-2hrs longer battery on the geek bench test. Now what we need to do is find out if that makes any real world difference.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I think most owners didn't care much about speed difference between the two chips. But when it comes to battery run time, such 1.5+ hrs of additional life is huge, especially for the small 6S batteries.

When Apple boasted the improved energy efficiency on the 6S (hence battery size reduction), they should have paid more attention to spec differences between the two A9 sources.

15. Dented macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry but for me it's way too huge to take seriously. There's something off with the benchmark. I have the Samsung chip and in real life usage I've been nothing but delighted with the battery life since launch day.

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

While your phone (6S? 6S+?) with Sammy chip has great battery life, couldn't the TSMC ones have even greater battery life? There's no contradiction here.

The battery benchmark app likely puts stress on the processors during the test to result in the 4-6 hours of reported run times. Those numbers are not real life battery times for everyday usages.

17. Dented macrumors 6502a

They could, and there's bound to be some variation, but the 20% or so quoted here is way too high. Simple question - if you had a choice between components, one of which was 20% better, why not just use that in all of them? Or at least put that in all the non plus phones (if it's a supply constraint issue) so you could claim that better battery life across the board on that model?

18. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Apple had to get the chip from more than one manufacturer to avoid constraints. However, it's not like they haven't done this before. The LG screens VS Samsung screens, MLC VS TLC, etc. The list goes on. However, since they are different companies, they'll have slightly different technology and patents. So it's highly probable the devices are made "Similarly" but not 100%. It certainly would be easier if they'd use just one variation of technology in everything they make...

They could have definitely used all of one chip in just one of the variants, say the 6s+. That would have made more sense but I'm figuring they considered the chips on par enough to distribute throughout. Perhaps we need to find out what factories produced the Samsung and in which week of production. This might help us to see if it's just being thrown in with the TSMC chips or a batch created on its own.

19. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

There could be many reasons, including those stated in the posted immediately above.

In all likelihood, Apple set a specification for the A9 chip, and both manufacturers met the spec. Only that TSMC possibly exceeded specs as well. Who knows?

20. raydizzle macrumors newbie

Model: iPhone 6s Plus
    Chip: TSMC
    Result:
    tsmc-oct8.png

Model: iPhone 6s Plus
    Chip: Samsung
    Result:
    samsung-oct8.png

http://imgur.com/a/G6oIS

21. giodelgado thread starter macrumors regular

giodelgado

Went to the Apple Store to replace my Sammy 6s and luckily I got a TSMC, here's the results with above settings:

[​IMG]

It does make a big difference using Geekbench battery test and most likely on a day to day use, worst thing that can happen is an iOS update might make the Samsung chip a better battery saver... lol

22. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Consistency when running "benchmarks" is what makes benchmarks useful. In the first one, you have wifi turned on. In the second, you don't. Who knows what else was different...

C

23. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

When I post mine in here it looks like I've left data on but I only turned it back on after the test was completed. So the screen shot showed it as on even though I ran the test in airplane mode.

24. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Good point.

C

25. giodelgado thread starter macrumors regular

giodelgado

Turned WiFi on after the test was finished, both tests had airplane mode on.