iPhone iPhone 6s and upgrade

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Natzoo, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Hi, i have an upgrade in the beginning of April and was wondering if i should get the iPhone six or wait until the 6s. When do you think the iPhone six s will come out and tell me if i should wait. Thanks 

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Probably September 2015 like the past few years.

That means you'd be about five months away from the new phone which is a fair bit of time. Not upgrading straight away is also basically paying your mobile network extra cash in return for nothing extra - not sure how you'd feel about that.

Having said that, if I were in your situation, it would be a tough call as I'd know that the iP6 would be over halfway in its release cycle. I'm not sure what networks are like where you live, but I'd probably unlock my phone, go to a SIM-only plan for five months then buy a 6S on contract when it comes out; if I were going to commit to (I presume) another two years I'd like to start with the latest and greatest. Some may disagree, but that's just my opinion.

3. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

I'd say if you can wait 5 months or longer for an upgrade it's because you don't need it.

If you keep asking yourself "should I jump now or wait half a year", then stop. This race isn't for you. In half a year you're only half a year away from something better.

There's nothing wrong with the iPhone 6 or the 6 plus. They're formidable phones. Sometimes you may find yourself waiting another half a year for a decent phone, only to use Angry Birds and Facebook anyway.

4. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

I remember in January 2013 getting the 5 (over a 4). When the 5s came out, I regretted getting the 5, as the 5s was much better - had a more solid case, no weird recall issues such as the battery/power button, and had Touch ID. Ironically (and fortunately), my 5 was stolen in February 2014, and AT&T was kind enough to allow an early upgrade to the 5s, so I grabbed it. Haven't looked back since then. (And, in a case of good karma, the 5 was recovered. Sold it unlocked, made a neat tiny profit.)

It depends on what phone you have right now. If you had the 4s or older, I might go with the 6 now, depending on your tolerance level for a slow iOS 8 experience (or iOS 7). If you have the 5/5c/5s, I'd just wait until the 6s/6s+ or whatever it'll be called. It's also worth remembering that availability of a new iPhone is usually scant until around late October/early November.

Based on past patterns, the "s" release of the iPhone is usually better than the original release. The "s" release builds on and improves upon the original version, while the original releases are more revolutionary and bring major changes. Kind of like an OS X Leopard then OS X Snow Leopard pattern, or a Lion / Mountain Lion pattern, if you may.

Hope this helps!

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

This has to be your decision.

Have a play with working demo models of the iP6+

If one always waited for what's out around the corner, then one wouldn't end up making any purchase at all. ;)

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's up to you really. I have my upgrade cycle synced to the new iphone every 2 years instead of the "S" version. iphone 6, 7, 8 etc.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Your last sentence is almost always completely true, but sometimes there's a valid reason to hang fire and personally I wouldn't want to be stuck with an iPhone with 1GB RAM for any longer than absolutely necessary. I can't speak for the standard i6 but the 6+ is lame and I totally regret buying it. I genuinely preferred my smaller screened, lower resolution 32Bit iPhone 5 because I effectively had more RAM to play with. Multitasking on the 6+ is pathetic and I can't wait to get rid of it. When the HTC One M9 launches I'm cutting my losses. I'll probably give the 6S a look when the time comes but only if it has a minimum of two gigs of RAM, otherwise I'll wait for the iPhone 7! Sticking with 1GB of RAM this cycle was the dumbest thing Apple have done in a long, long time. The maps debacle has nothing on this.

8. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Let me share my point of view: If your current iPhone still supports the latest iOS version, you're good to keep it.

I doubt iOS 9 will support the 4S so I'm definitively upgrading this year to the 6S.

9. andreyirra macrumors regular

Well, even it it's only 32 bit and had more "room" to play with, my iPhone 5 was significantly slower than the 6 plus I have right now.

10. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Always upgrade to S versions. They have a history of lasting a bit longer.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It depends what you use your phone for, and what your biggest frustrations are. I mainly use my phone for heavy web browsing and research on the go. Webpage reloads annoy the hell out of me multiple times per day, and I would gladly trade a little speed for the iPhone 5 which reloaded webpages MUCH less often.

To be fair, it's obvious that 1GB of RAM is insufficient.
    My 6+ is crap. If you just go into an app, use it and you're done then fine. Go into a web browser, use it and you're done fine there too. Same goes for any one task which can be completed within that one app, no problems at all. Want to work in several browsers or apps at once? No chance. Everything will reload in an abysmal, pathetic manner when you come out of one and go into another. It frustrates the hell out me that I could multitask more effectively on my iPhone 5 than I can on my two generations newer 6+.

Then there's the occasional lag, the occasional freezing, the occasional dropped WiFi, the quite regular spinning data wheel in Safari, and the fact that my battery is worse with 8.1.2 than it was out of the box. Just a catalogue of issues and I'm sick of paying for the privilege of being an Apple hardware and software beta tester. Of course many here will shout out that their device is 'perfect' but come on, is it heck. If you use the 6+ in anything but a simple one task and you're done manner, you'll be frustrated to hell with the reloading. I mainly use my phone in a manner which displays the chronic lack of RAM. I know that lots here don't, but that doesn't excuse the limitations. Apple sold me a big phablet screen so that I could use my device in a heavier manner, and I could actually use my old iPhone 5 in a much more demanding kind of way. The bigger screen and improved battery life of the 6+ are great, but when the phone itself can't do what the two generations older iPhone 5 did then it's a lousy upgrade for my own requirements. I expected the browser and app reloading problem to be no worse than the iPhone 5, but it is sadly much worse and to my mind unacceptable.