iphone 6s asks for password rather than finger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jtmo3, May 5, 2016.

1. jtmo3 macrumors newbie

Have a 6s running 9.3.1. Every once in a while when I plug it in at night, in the morning it will ask for the password. Like when you restart it. Doesn't appear to be any reason for it. I didn't restart the phone before plugging it in. Could it be restarting on it's own at night? Has anyone else seen this?

2. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Nope, mine has not done that, very strange. Maybe a bad cord?

3. jtmo3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Pretty new 6.6' apple cable. It's strange cause there's no constant time I can point to when it does it. Only had the phone about two weeks and everything else works great. It's not a huge deal, just strange.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

My phones and iPads have done this sporadically over the years. I assume its a Touch ID bug.

5. MrGuder macrumors 68020

This is done on purpose by Apple, so that you don't forget your passcode.

6. jtmo3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wondered about that but could find nothing to confirm that. It makes sense.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My i6 restarts randomly during the night sometimes.
    That's the reason in the morning it asks for a passcode and won't take the Touch ID.

8. ATC macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 6 does the same as OP.

I don't know the cause but I don't think it's due to a reboot overnight. I have SIM lock enabled on my phone and when I manually reboot, after it always asks for both the passcode and then the SIM code. Not with this though, I just get asked to enter passcode only.

9. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

I've had my iPhone 6s for 7 months, and I've never had it restart on its own or ask me to use the password instead of Touch ID. But I do know that if you don't use Touch ID for 48 hours, it requires you to use the passcode, so maybe it is a software bug.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, usually that's why it happens like that.

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I see it once in a while on both my iP6+ and iPad Pro. I've seen it on previous iPhones and iPads also. I know it's supposed to do that if you haven't used your device in a couple of days but I use mine every day. It still happens. Oh well......

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There was a few nights where I caught it rebooting on its own.
    I have a gold i6 plus and the whole screen turns white with the apple logo when it restarts. And lights up the whole bedroom at night when it's dark and then it vibrates twice while it's rebooting.
    In my case I'm 100% it reboots on its own some nights.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

My 6S+ has never done this but both of my iPad Pro 9.7 do about once a week.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My iPhone 6+ does this about twice a month. It's weird but I never thought much of it. I think it started with iOS 9.2.

15. mrochester macrumors 65816

Hi all

Sometimes my iPhone SE asks me to put in my passcode in the morning to re-enable touch ID. Touch ID worked fine when I put down the phone before going to sleep.

Does anyone know why it's asking for my passcode on some mornings to re-enable?

Many thanks

M

16. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

If I understand correctly, there are cases when the system will force you to use your passcode for security. If you shut down your device, you will be prompted a passcode when you turn it on, for example. Are you turning off your device at night?

17. mrochester macrumors 65816

No it doesn't get switched off as I use Sleep Cycle. It's just left plugged into the charger.

18. awair macrumors regular

I've had this too on my 5S multiple times. I also use Sleep Cycle, but the occurrence is when Sleep Cycle was not active.

It's as though the phone has spontaneously rebooted overnight - but I have not been able to verify this.

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

happens on my iPad Air 2 sometimes, but not on my iPhone 6 so far

20. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I think the phone is probably spontaneously rebooting when you are asleep/ not aware. I get this occasionally with my iPhone and iPads.

21. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I think it may occasionally be triggered by extended periods of little or no activity. I also use Sleep Cycle, but I've found that my iPhone will occasionally ask for the passcode after I lock the first time that morning.

It seems fairly random and it happened with my 6, 6s Plus and now SE. Bit of a pain, but it doesn't bother me too much.