iPhone 6s Battery Hardware or Software Issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daudi81, Feb 15, 2016.

1. daudi81 macrumors regular

So every once in awhile my phone will shut off (usually between 30% - 60% charge), and when I try to turn it back on the battery indicator will say it needs a charge. The weird thing is, if I plug the phone back in even for 2-3 seconds, and then unplug it, it will be fine for the remainder of the battery. But if I don't plug it in, it will either go into a reboot loop, or just give me the battery indicator. The battery obviously has plenty of charge in it, otherwise plugging it back in for 2-3 seconds wouldn't fix it. It's been doing this more and more lately, as much as 1-2 times per day the last week (whereas before it would only do it once a month or so).

I'm wondering if this is a known issue and there is a popular workaround / fix? I hate setting up genius appointments, as they take forever and it's really crowded all the time (but I definitely can if that's what it recommended).

Anyone else have this issue or heard of it? If it's software related, I can just do a reset to factory settings. But I'd hate to do that and lose some of my stuff if it's just a battery replacement issue.

Thanks

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Sounds more like a software issue than anything else.

Try a full restore and don't use a backup. That should fix any problem.

3. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response.

I just tried a full restore (set up as new device and everything)...and it didn't work. In fact, I'm noticing something new: The phone charges really fast between 1-70%, and once it's at ~75-80% it goes incredibly slow....it took 2-3 hours to go from 80-100%. Once I get it to ~90%, it goes down to 65%-ish within a few minutes. Something is definitely weird.

And above all else, it still randomly turns off and won't let me turn it back on without plugging it in for a few seconds.

Have a genius bar appointment tomorrow morning, hopefully they'll just give me a new one as I've only had the thing for a couple months!

4. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

Took the iPhone in, and they ran some diagnostics on it. I'm not sure how in-depth their diagnostics are because he just hooked the phone up to his iPad and ran some software tool. He said it came up with no issues.

Luckily, at the the same time, the phone started into it's shutoff / reboot loop around 50% battery charge and he couldn't get the phone to turn back on. That was pretty much the nail in the coffin, and he went out back and got a new phone for me (I actually don't know if it was a new phone.... he brought a sealed box with a sealed iPhone in it, but it wasn't one of the commercial boxes you usually get when you buy a new one - I hope I wasn't getting some refurb model).

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

A "refurb" model is a newly manufactured model. The only parts reused are the logic board components. It has a new screen, new casing and new battery. It would be impossible to tell whether your device is a new device or remanufactured. The white box replacements are a mix of brand new and remanufactured. You will never know what you have.

Remanufactured units are typically more reliable because each individual device goes thorough testing instead of a select few from each batch.

6. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah I see - I guess I was more worried that I got someone's "take-back" phone and they just gave it to me. But if it's new parts, etc - I'm fine with that. As long as this one doesn't shut off constantly like my old one - I'm good!

7. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Apple's refurbishment process is probably one of the best in the biz, so don't fret and enjoy your new phone!