iPhone 6s+ battery life horrible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by npolly0212, Mar 17, 2016.

1. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

when I first got this phone it would easily last 2 if not 3 days per charge. Now a days I use it 1/2 as much and mainly only to send a few texts, and connect Bluetooth headphones and listen to music and hardly get through a day with it.
    There are days that it'll be fully charged when I leave he house and have a 10 minute drive to school and a 20 minute walk and by the time I get to the class it'll be at 70%.
    Anyone else having problems?

2. Sajal macrumors regular

3. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Its saying that I use Facebook the most, which I don't use (since I always have my iPad on me I check it on there), but also says background activity for Facebook? No idea what that is?

4. mfr1340 macrumors regular

you must close Face Book because it runs in the background. Open it and close it when done.

5. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

I kill my apps once I finish using them.

6. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

If the numbers you have are accurate, your phone is definitely doing something that is very power intensive.

If you don't see the culprit in usage, then it could be the radios. Try resetting your network settings. Also, make sure there is nothing using your location all the time that you don't need.

7. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Alright, I have location set for everything to only when in use. How do I go about resetting the network settings?

8. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Go to settings>general>reset>reset network settings. You'll have to re-enter passwords for any secured wifi networks that you have saved.

9. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

will his lose any of my data or just wifi passwords?

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

No data lost aside from WiFi associations/passwords.

11. GalFieri macrumors regular

GalFieri

Well, you shouldn't really be doing that for most apps anyway. That in itself causes battery drain.

12. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

awesome, will go ahead and do that than!

why is that? never heard of that happening

13. pika2000 macrumors 68030

No difference, at least for me. The only way to prevent Facebook from draining your battery is to uninstall it. I can't believe Apple is letting such malware inside the app store.

As for the OP, see which app is taking the most power. If it's Safari, try disabling iCloud Safari syncing.

14. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

its Facebook that uses the most, which i hardly use on my phone

15. Shamgar macrumors regular

On iOS, when you switch away from an app, the OS suspends that app so that it no longer is using processing power but it stays in RAM. There are limited exceptions of specific tasks that apps can do as background activities, but the app itself is suspended and instead relies on specific hooks that iOS leaves open for limited tasks (like fetching email).

Closing an app dumps it from RAM. That means that the next time you switch to the app, it has to load it all from flash storage into RAM. That process consumes more power than just waking the app from sleep. In most cases, the net result is that regularly quitting apps uses up more battery life than just letting the OS handle them. A well behaved app should remain dormant in RAM and only briefly tap the background activity hooks Apple left available while waiting for the user to select the app again.

Facebook, however, has a history of exploiting those background processes to run more than they are supposed to. If they were a smaller company, they'd probably have long since been kicked off the App Store. You can cut off Facebook's access to the background activity hooks under the Settings app in General -> Background Activity. Similarly, cutting it off from Location Services in Privacy will also help reduce its usage. That should be enough to wrangle the Facebook app back into proper behaviour. If that doesn't work, the next step is to delete the Facebook app and just use the website.

16. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I did what I could and Facebook was still the top battery user on my 6S, even when I did it from a reboot and did not even touch the Facebook app. I uninstalled it and just used the mobile site. It's not optimal user experience, but clearly Facebook doesn't care. And yes, if it's any other app, it would've been pulled or something. But I guess Facebag gets a free pass for being a malware.

Interestingly, I do not notice this behavior on my iPad.

17. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

1) Remove Facebook app
    2) Enjoy better battery life

Alternative solution: Keep facebook app, but turn off a bunch of settings in privacy/general settings/notifications section (If facebook is causing major battery drain [which it sounds like it is in this case] this will not likely solve the issue)

Stop spreading this non-sense. On a MICRO level that can USE very very slightly more battery. It does not cause battery drain. That's like saying don't exit out of your browser when you're done on your desktop, because it uses battery. Yeah, it's a function, it's going to use power.

Is it technically slightly more efficient to leave everything open and "suspended" forever? Probably. However in this case the facebook app is likely causing his drain, so it absolutely is not going to cause additional battery drain, but might actually cure it.

18. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have already turned that off, So i guess I will just delete Facebook and see if that helps me.

same with me!

I am just going to delete Facebook like stated

19. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Have you seen these to Save Battery Drain: Posted on the internet and copied and posted here.

1. If you just installed a new update, give it a couple of days before drastically altering your settings or habits

2. Settings > Battery. It’ll show up under the Battery Usage header. This tool shows you which apps are eating the most battery. You can check the last 24 hours and you can check to see what they’re doing over an extended period of time. You can also, thanks to iOS 9, now check to see when they are eating battery.

3. Delete Facebook

4. Limit Background App Refresh.
    Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and go through each and every app one at a time.

5. Shut Off Location Services. Location Services (GPS) can absolutely wreck havoc on battery life. If you’ve ever used Google Maps or Waze for an extended period of time then you already should know that. Head into Settings > Privacy

6. Turn Off Push
    Settings > Notifications. Go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and turn off Push.

7. Restart the iPhone 6s

8. Reset All Settings
    Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

9. Disable iCloud Keychain
    Settings > iCloud > Keychain > Toggle iCloud Keychain off

10. To clear out the cache in each app and help boost your phone’s speed, simply open any of the aforementioned apps and quickly tap 10 times in a row on one of the tab icons at the bottom of the screen. Once you do that, the screen will go blank for a moment and the cache will be cleared.

11. Settings > Messages > Keep Messages and then change the setting from “Forever” to “30 Days”

12. Reduce Motion

20. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Could you describe how this looks? Open any app on your phone? Where are the tab icons located?

21. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

that's because you've not read wha swiping up on the multi-tasking screen does. You're not "closing" any apps, because it's not a list of "running" apps in the first place. google it.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

This definitely applies to App Store and perhaps the iTunes Store app, but I'm not sure there are more beyond that.

23. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Sorry, just sold my iPhone 6s+ and waiting for the iPhone SE tomorrow announcement.

24. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Lol no problem, thanks for the follow up. May the RAM gods be with you tomorrow.

25. GalFieri macrumors regular

GalFieri

Except it's technically true, as you say so yourself? It does needlessly use processing power and thus more of your battery than it is necessary.

I did say most apps, and Facebook doesn't happen to fall in that category. I don't even have Facebook installed because of it.