Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
My iPhone 6s seems to have bad battery life. When I look at the Battery section in the Settings app, it shows that I get about 3-3.5 hours of usage before it is almost dead. Is this normal for the 6s or am I getting worse than normal battery life?

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
My iPhone 6s seems to have bad battery life. When I look at the Battery section in the Settings app, it shows that I get about 3-3.5 hours of usage before it is almost dead. Is this normal for the 6s or am I getting worse than normal battery life?

I have the very same problem, it charges very quick and drains just as quickly, the only way I can contain a good percentage is if I don't touch it at all

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It's not normal at all...
Mine vary from 6 up to 8 hrs of usage, mostly depending on network signal strength.
A lot of factors are involved, the apps you are using, the network provider... But everything under 5 hrs is to consider as an anomaly.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
It's not normal at all...
Mine vary from 6 up to 8 hrs of usage, mostly depending on network signal strength.
A lot of factors are involved, the apps you are using, the network provider... But everything under 5 hrs is to consider as an anomaly.
I went to the Apple Store and they did a diagnostic and said the battery isn't defective and it must be a software problem. I restored and I still have the issue

AYNOM

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Uninstalling facebook is the first step to battery greatness with the iPhone.

Reactions: catean

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
At school, the brick walls cause there to be no signal or 1 bar and at home I get 2-4 bars
[doublepost=1457235507][/doublepost]
I don't have it installed on my iPhone
No signal to 2 bars .... Your network is basically killing your battery.
The only suggestion I have is to either change provider or put the iPhone in aero plane mode every time you don't need it (or there is no signal)

Reactions: timeconsumer

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
The iPhone is on AT&T and I get good coverage at home unless I'm in my room or outside at the opposite end of the neighborhood, so that must mean that the bad signal at school causes my battery drain where I use it most. Do you guys have any other idea to help with the battery drain other than airplane mode?

Reactions: Vanilla35

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
The iPhone is on AT&T and I get good coverage at home unless I'm in my room or outside at the opposite end of the neighborhood, so that must mean that the bad signal at school causes my battery drain where I use it most. Do you guys have any other idea to help with the battery drain other than airplane mode?

Disable cellular will work also.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

Your battery life is almost normal use (if you play games at all). The time sitting in a no-signal area is largely relevant to the subnormal battery life, but other than that (potentially increasing it 20-30%) you have the normal bad battery life of an iPhone 6s.

During the times where there is 0 bars/no signal, put your phone in airplane mode. If Wifi is available, you can still use that. Once you leave school, you can turn it back on. Shouldn't impede use, and if you have no signal at school anyway, then you might as well put airplane mode on.

nceo

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015
Does anybody know how much difference there is in battery life between 3,4 and 5 bars (signal strength)... Or is battery life significantly affected only when there is just 1 bar (or none/2)?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does anybody know how much difference there is in battery life between 3,4 and 5 bars (signal strength)... Or is battery life significantly affected only when there is just 1 bar (or none/2)?
Hard to say how much of a difference exsctly, but less bars in general means higher battery usage.

Reactions: MistahMumford

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Does anybody know how much difference there is in battery life between 3,4 and 5 bars (signal strength)... Or is battery life significantly affected only when there is just 1 bar (or none/2)?[/QU
Your battery life is almost normal use (if you play games at all). The time sitting in a no-signal area is largely relevant to the subnormal battery life, but other than that (potentially increasing it 20-30%) you have the normal bad battery life of an iPhone 6s.

During the times where there is 0 bars/no signal, put your phone in airplane mode. If Wifi is available, you can still use that. Once you leave school, you can turn it back on. Shouldn't impede use, and if you have no signal at school anyway, then you might as well put airplane mode on.
I already knew battery life wasn't good on the 6s before I bought it, but from the reviews I saw it had acceptable battery life. I do have the Samsung A9, so that may also contribute to the battery drain.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Yeah, as others have stated: the low signal is destroying your battery life. My wife has a similar issue at her work. Granted she is using a 5s, but she gets 0-1 bars in the majority of her working area, and if she forgets to turn on airplane mode she regularly comes home with less than 20% battery left. If she does turn on airplane mode she usually comes back with around 60% or so. Makes a world of difference. These percentages also take into account her morning workout and usage of the phone during her lunch break, and calls during both commutes; in case it came across as non-usage of the phone during the day.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Yeah, as others have stated: the low signal is destroying your battery life. My wife has a similar issue at her work. Granted she is using a 5s, but she gets 0-1 bars in the majority of her working area, and if she forgets to turn on airplane mode she regularly comes home with less than 20% battery left. If she does turn on airplane mode she usually comes back with around 60% or so. Makes a world of difference.
Alright, thanks for your input, I'll put it in airplane mode to see if it helps or not at school tomorrow.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

1/2 is significant, 3-5 is fine. 5 is relatively no drain, 3-4 light drain, 2 moderate, 0-1 significant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.