iPhone 6S Battery Replacement Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imanidiot, Nov 29, 2016.

1. imanidiot Suspended

Just need to complain about this. I have been having issues with my iPhone 6S re battery. I made a Genius Bar appointment last week, which happens to fall tomorrow. Since making the appointment, I learned of the 6S Battery Replacement Program, i.e. that many iPhone 6S's were experiencing battery issues. I contacted Apple Support via chat this morning, where it was determined that my phone qualified for battery replacement, but that I should contact my local store before bringing it in for my scheduled appointment, since most stores would not have replacements available until after Dec 5. I called my local Apple store, explained my situation, and was informed that yes, in fact they would have no replacements until Dec. 6, but that all the batteries that were scheduled to be delivered on that date were already spoken for. Ok, I understand that. I was told that, despite the fact that they would not be able help me tomorrow at my scheduled appointment, I should come in anyway so that they could, on the spot, determine whether my phone qualified (it has already been determined that it does, which I made clear to the person I spoke with), and then they would order a battery specifically for me, which I could then come back a second time to have installed. My point being that I think it's kind of stupid and inconvenient to have to come in twice for the same issue when I have been informed that the first visit (tomorrow) would be, essentially, pointless, except to verify what Apple and I already know. It also seems to imply that they do not believe Apple Support or me without seeing the phone in the flesh, as it were.
    Sorry to be so long-winded.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I don't know of a 6S Battery Replacement Program. It's more likely the phone is still under warranty and will be repaired accordingly if the battery's failed.

3. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

No, there is an Official Apple iPhone 6S Battery Replacement program. Whether or not a phone qualifies is determined by its serial number.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

6. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

So this replacement program, does it mean there isn't a software (iOS) issue? Just trying to figure out why Apple support is telling my wife (6s) to backup/set up as new phone repeatedly.

Or is the software over-charging the batteries making them die prematurely? If so, won't a new batter suffer the same fate?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Or a bad batch of batteries in some fashion.

8. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

My phone has the serial number that is supposed to have this issue - I guess I should contact my store before scheduling an appointment.

9. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

My phone was received/checked in on Monday 11/28, Spoke to the Customer Relations Rep I've been dealing with this morning, to see if there was going to be a delay with my battery replacement, and he had the same December 5th date, however, how he understood it is, any phones sent in BEFORE Dec 5th would be taken care of ASAP (5-10 business days, standard repair time frame), and any phones sent in AFTER the December 5th date would experience a delay.

I did reiterate that if my phone wasn't completed in the 5-10 business day time frame, that I would be escalating the issue to the Executive Customer Relations department.

I think it's funny they didn't mention any type of delay when they set up the repair, but now every Apple store is saying they can't even order the batteries, and they will be automatically sent to the stores based on volume.

I'm sure Apple had plans to announce the recall for weeks, before actually doing it.
    I don't think the battery is a long term fix. I think it is the easiest thing to do, until they figure out what is actually going on. (and this is the reason they aren't offering Warranty replacements, like they would have in the past)

10. foxconn Suspended

the store needs to confirm that you're eligible by checking to see if there's any physical or liquid damage to the device.

11. spookit macrumors newbie

don't sweat it, replacing the battery isn't even a guaranteed solution.

12. Jessica08 macrumors regular

Jessica08

Mine didn't start having problems until ios10. I really don't think a new battery will fix it. It might help, but I've heard mixed results. I'm going to send mine in while I'm on my Christmas break instead of having to worry about driving all the way to the Apple store to be told again, sorry, no batteries.

13. TheMilko macrumors member

TheMilko

The Apple 6S battery replacement is available in the U.K too. I contacted them via phone yesterday and I have a genius appointment on the 5th Dec at my local store. The contact I spoke to (from Northern Ireland) checked my series number and IMIE numbers, then she confirmed I was eligible for a FOC replacement and that it would take 10-15 minutes in store.
    Fingers crossed it'll all be sorted by Monday evening.

14. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

You and every other person I bet, so it will not help. I am sure you are not first in line to get your battery replaced. If you cannot live without your phone, it might be best to wait.

15. Honeymoon macrumors newbie

Honeymoon

Has anyone had their iPhone 6s battery replaced under this program? I called Apple support over the phone to discuss some problems with my iPhone. This turning off while having 40% of battery left was one of my problems. The phone rep told me I was eligible for a replacement and was going to send me out a new phone. But couldn't guarantee that it would be a new iPhone 6s or refurbished. So I chose to go to my Apple Store that I know only used new replacements. But I had to change my appointment due to holiday schedule conflicts. Curious if the Apple Store replacing just the battery with an new one has solved this issue for any users? Or did anyone receive a new iPhone 6s?

16. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

I had my battery replaced under the program and, yes, it solved my problem.

17. Bethanie21 Suspended

Bethanie21

I had my iPhone 6S battery replaced under this programme. The new battery has (touch wood) solved the shut down issue I was experiencing beforehand.

In some cases, if you take your phone in and they can't get the old battery out they may give you a refurb iPhone.

18. Honeymoon macrumors newbie

Honeymoon

Touch wood? Did you have it done at an Apple Store? How long did the repair take?

19. Honeymoon macrumors newbie

Honeymoon

Thanks! Did you have it done at an Apple Store? How long did the repair take?

20. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

Yes, I had it done at my local Apple Store, and it took an hour-an-a-half. The wait time is determined by whether or not there is anyone ahead of you having the same thing done. If you're first in line I understand the time is in the vicinity of 45 minutes to an hour.

21. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Took about 1 1/2 hour at Apple store for me and it fixed the problem. Time also was based upon how many people they were doing and there were a bunch since they had just gotten a supply of batteries

22. Bethanie21 Suspended

Bethanie21

'Touch wood' is just a saying, like 'fingers crossed', haha.

Yes, I did. Took about an hour and a half.

23. Honeymoon macrumors newbie

Honeymoon

I spoke with Apple Care (1-800-MYAPPLE) they told me there's two choices available. If you have Apple Care Plus you can do an Express Replacement via USPS. They mail you a new iPhone (1-3 biz days) and you mail you old one back (within 10 days). At no cost. Or you can use the battery repair program where you can just have the battery repaired in an Apple Store. I think the First option might be less stressful for me.

24. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

Certainly if you have Apple Care that would be easiest thing to do---at least it would save you a trip to the Apple Store and having to wait around. I didn't, so that was not an option for me.