iPhone 6(S)(+) iPhone 6s battery replacement uk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacMandy, Oct 15, 2018.

1. MacMandy macrumors 6502

MacMandy

Hi, so sorry if this has already been asked. Replaced battery under Apple scheme for £25. It is 18 months old and only 80% capacity. Just wondering, under European Law for the 2 years, should this have been made available free of charge? If so, how would I go about trying to claim this money back? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

2. niji Contributor

niji

hi

when the replacement policy for the battery for the iPhone 6s was initially announced, there was quoted the fee approximate to the one you mentioned (the exact amount per country is different but always approximate to the amount you listed).

however, after that initial announcement, within a period of weeks, the policy was amended to state that if in the past you paid for any battery replacement for the iPhone 6s, that a battery change made under this new policy would be free of charge.

for example, here is a quote from the macworld (not officially associated with apple):

I recently paid full price to replace my battery. Can I get a refund?
    Yes! Apple has announced that it will refund the $50 difference to all customers who paid to have an out-of-warranty battery replacement between January 1, 2017, and Dec. 28, 2017. Apple will contact eligible customers via email between May 23, 2018 and July 27, 2018 with instructions on how to obtain the credit. if you don't get an email, you can contact Apple Support and plead your case.
    end quote

so if you might want to check if in your case a fully paid for battery change can be refunded.

3. Shauns macrumors newbie

Shauns

4. MacMandy thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMandy

After contacting Apple Support and quoting European Consumer Law, they are issuing me a refund for the battery replacement ☺️

5. Playamonte macrumors newbie

Took my 6s + in for a new battery yesterday, £25 as the free one is only for the 6s so I was told.
    Cannot complain as after the phone inspection and being told how nice the condition was off I went for a wander around the town.
    On return was told about its camera issue (news to me ?) but not to worry as here is a new one. Yes I guessed what the tech had done but these things happen & item replaced without an issue so full marks from me.

6. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Good! But I think you were under the recall. If there were no recalls, I think this battery would be seen as a "consumable" and thus not under warranty unless defective.

7. apolloa macrumors G4

I have to agree, yes the law states fit for purpose etc, but when it comes to batteries I believe it’s different as they are consumables at the end of the day.