IPhone 6s - buy now or wait

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChrisChaval, Feb 8, 2017.

1. ChrisChaval macrumors regular

ChrisChaval

Hi all,

Here I am asking for your advice regarding the best moment to buy a new iPhone 6s 32gb rose gold.

I am in no hurry and since the iphone 7s, 8, X (or whatever it is going to be called) will be released in September with the iPhone 6s most probably being discontinued at launch, I am wondering if it would be wise to wait until (after) September to buy an iPhone 6s in order to see prices drop even further.

I am a little confused as the iPhone 5s stayed around seemingly forever with prices dropping continuously then settling at a really low level while the iPhone 6 on the other hand disappeared almost immediately after being discontinued.

As for my choice: the iPhone will be a gift and the 6/6s form factor is a requirement as well as the color option rose gold. I am avoiding the iPhone 6 since it had too many problems (touch, bend and battery issues) and is not available in rose gold, the 5s as it is too old now (plus not the right size and color), the SE because of design/form factor and the 7or 8 because too expensive and no headphone jack. Plus models are no option either because of the size. I prefer a new phone for various reasons.

Currently I am leaning towards waiting until (after) September.

What do you suggest?

Thanks a lot,
    Chris

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Well, I can't guarantee they'll keep the 6s in stock but they might. However, have you also considered possibly buying refurbished from the Apple store? You might be able to get more storage for less money. Trust me when it say their refurbs are really good because they basically go through a second quality control test and have certain parts replaced. You can still get AppleCare + on it as well.

How quickly do you want/need it?

3. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

You can wait 5 years, and then they'll be $50 on eBay.

I don't get these threads. If you need a phone, buy one now. If you don't, don't.

4. ChrisChaval thread starter macrumors regular

ChrisChaval

Thank you, I could wait until after September

Refurbished is a good idea :)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2017 ---
    5 years would be a little too long ;)

I have an iphone, I am planning on getting another one as a gift. It has to be an iPhone 6s but I want to spend as little as possible on it as I have some major and important investments to finance. I could buy it today but I do not have money to throw away, this is why I am thinking about waiting until September

5. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

Here's your answer. You seem to be able to wait and are not die hard about getting a new phone so you should wait.

Just make sure to kick the idea out of your mind until September.

6. CrystalQuest76 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 6 w/ apple letter cover (bought three months after release) and have not had a single problem with it. Foolishly, I have dropped it a few times on to drive way and had no damage done to it. I use the iPhone 6 constantly with a number of apps and have even taken pictures and video with it in light drizzle and snow.
    The reality is you do not need 'rose gold' and neither does the recipient of the gift. The color will hidden behind a case.

7. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul

I wouldn't wait until September, since the rose gold color will most likely get discontinued.

8. ChrisChaval thread starter macrumors regular

ChrisChaval

Thank you very much for your replies, I appreciate

You know, the color unfortunately is very important as the iphone will be given to my daughter .. if it were for me the color wouldn't be important at all, but girls/women can be very picky about that lol (no offense). Even if it will be hidden behind a case .. ;)

As refurbished iphones are not yet being offered in my country by Apple, I will stick to your advice and wait until September, kicking the idea out of my mind in the meantime (easy), and hopefully out of my daughter's mind as well (quite a challenge ..)

I am counting on the fact that the 6s will still be available for a certain period of time after being discontinued

Thanks again to you all and have a good day
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017 ---
    uhm, trying to worry me? ;)

why would that be? I would expect the 6s to be discontinued entirely, not just a single color option of that particular product

If I do wait and then cannot get the right color option I am in deep trouble, you know that

9. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Apple already done that when the iPhone 6s was released, they discontinued the gold color option for the iPhone 6 although I don't think it will happen at the end of the year for the 6s as the phone itself will probably get discontinued.

About your thread, I would advice you to buy now because we are in early February so September is 7 months away which is a long time to wait. Plus the phone might get discontinued at that time so your only option will be to buy one used, I don't know if you mind or not but even if you don't then you might want to buy it now as its price won't get that much lower by September. Used iPhones price usually get a big cut when the next one is released and then slowly see their price get lower years after years.

Anyway, the iPhone 6s is a very capable phone and I think it'll be a very nice present for your daughter. :)

10. bufffilm, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

I would buy the phone in mid-summer.

Prices won't drop that much more from then compared to late-Sept and if rose-gold color is important, you don't want to chance something happening.

11. Jetro macrumors regular

Jetro

I'll sell my 64 gb gold one to you. It's less than a year old and carrier unlocked

12. ChrisChaval thread starter macrumors regular

ChrisChaval

Thank you guys! Yes, rose gold is essential as is the headphone jack.

I will follow your advice, start looking for offers and buy between now and mid summer. Mid summer would be perfect timing now that I think about it, so I could use the iPhone as an incentive for her to concentrate a little bit more on school and studies in the meantime .. ;)

Sorry, wrong color! ;)

13. Lockon macrumors regular

You want to spend the least as possible, but don't want the SE form factor? Dude, the SE is the best value for the money. Especially if you want a new phone.

What about battery life? Will a 6S get you/her through a day? My SE would, but my 6S requires a battery pack a few times a week. So that's an added cost to the 6S.

Good luck with the purchase. Just don't count out the SE if cost is a main factor.

14. Math889 macrumors 65816

Buy now......Get the rose gold ..

15. ChrisChaval, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

ChrisChaval thread starter macrumors regular

ChrisChaval

You are right. I own the SE and it is a great little phone, I love it. In fact I suggested the SE from the start but my daughter liked the iPhone 6s better because of how it looks ... and I was willing to go for the 6s even though I thought it might be too big in size.

Last weekend I happened to take a look at her current 5 inch android phone .. shattered screen (no protective case was available for that model). That kind of shattered her dreams of an 6s as well, not because I am angry (kids and teenagers are quite careless and clumsy even with expensive stuff they love. on the contrary, I am grateful she dropped her cheap android phone and not an iphone 6s!), it is because of size. Smaller hands just get a better grip on a smaller phone and in consequence it is less likely to slip and fall.

I know there are lots of bumper cases available for the 6s, but what is the point in buying a phone because it is slim and looks nice only to hide its beauty behind an ugly case (which might make it even more difficult to hold and when there is a smaller phone available which you can hide behind a case as well).. And after what happened to her android phone, a protective case is a must in any case.

So at this point the SE seems to be the right choice in terms of size, price and performance. As it is available in rose gold at least that part of her wish will come true :)

In my mind, the best phone insurance you can get is to buy a phone you can hold in your hands without dropping it .. ;) choosing the perfect sized phone AND putting a case on it is like having double insurance.

I have been searching the internet and found a good article for anyone who is interested in buying an iphone for younger folks :

https://www.gazelle.com/thehorn/2016/05/09/best-smartphone-for-kids-and-teens/

Sorry for going that far off topic in my own thread lol
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2017 ---
    Yes, an SE rose gold it is with a nice protective case!