iPhone 6s Camera dual lens impossible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JustMadeThisNameUp, Aug 21, 2015.

1. JustMadeThisNameUp macrumors regular

I am anxiously awaiting the iPhone 6s Plus with the optical image stabilization and the rumored specs and features but one thing that I keep reading about online over and over is the rumored dual lens.

Who wouldn't want our iPhones to make DSLR's practically obsolete? But I don't understand how such a thing could exist with the current leaked iPhone 6s body frame. There's not an additional hole for the second lens, right? Or would they be stacked upon one another?

Anyways, I hope I've explained myself properly and I haven't seen any threads on this topic before.

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

I think there would be an oval opening with two lenses right next to each other, but it would probably look kind of weird.

I'm not expecting this type of camera until the iPhone 7s, though. They could design a body that fits that kind of camera in the iPhone 7 and then hold that feature back until the 7s, since the "S" models are the ones that bring the big camera improvements.

3. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Why would having a second lens allow the iPhone to make DSLR obsolete? You are never going to be able to replace a DSLR with an iPhone, as the iPhone has a fixed focal length. Many DSLR photographers have specialized lenses such as fast f/2.8 or greater primes, telephoto zooms, wide angle zooms, macro lenses, portrait lenses, etc. Not to mention you'd never be able to get anywhere close to the same level of auto focus speed and accuracy, noise reduction, quality, etc.

Smartphone cameras are really only replacements for point and shoot cameras.

4. JustMadeThisNameUp thread starter macrumors regular

I said practically obsolete which is what Apple is ultimately aiming for. Why would a second lens do this? It would do so by helping them with the quality of the pictures and experience including faster focusing. But that's neither here nor there as I have a Sony point and shoot which takes better pictures than my iPhone 6 so they don't really make them obsolete but that won't stop them from improving.

5. posguy99 macrumors 6502

Why would Apple care about obsoleting DSLRs? As everyone says, the best camera is the one you have with you.

6. JustMadeThisNameUp thread starter macrumors regular

If Apple makes all other cameras obsolete then that's more money for them. By your logic the best camera is the one you have with you means we don't need iPhone cameras to improve and we all need the most basic of design, features, and photo quality.

7. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

From what I've read mirrorless cameras have 95% replaced DSLRs. Sony's latest mirrorless the aRII finally beat the best DSLR the Nikon D750 in autofocus accuracy and speed. The last domino has fallen.

Smartphones, now, I do not ever see them replacing mirrorless cameras simply b/c of the space constraints.

8. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

What camera tech exists that we haven't already heard of that would make one think that the 6s' camera will beat the S6 or LG G4's cameras? I don't think there is one right now.

9. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I wouldn't say 95%. Mirrorless cameras have definitely taken away from those who would otherwise purchase entry level DSLRs, however if you are a serious photographer high end DSLRs are still the best of the best. The biggest reason I'd say are lenses. Most lenses for mirrorless cameras are few and far between, don't have close to the same number of specialty lenses, and the optical quality is nowhere near as close. For the average Joe though who wants a high quality camera for snapshots, I would highly recommend a mirrorless camera over a entry level DSLR with kit lens.

Mirrorless cameras still have significantly smaller sensors, which leads to lower quality when cropped, worse high ISO performance, generally slower focus, and more. You'd be hard pressed to take indoor sports photos at ISO 8000 on a mirrorless camera.

10. JustMadeThisNameUp thread starter macrumors regular

You don't have to implement the same technology for something to be obsolete, you simply have to provide for the consumer the desired effect.