iPhone 6s Charging issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gatto37, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Gatto37 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone!

Couple of weeks ago I noticed that my iphone 6s won't charged to 100%. The battery indicator stucks at around 77%. I updated to ios 9.3. but it didn't help. Last time I plugged it in at 30% for the whole night, but in the morning the charging indicator was at 77%.

Other occasions I noticed that when I disconnect the phone from charging, the indicator would update like 2 or 3% without plugged in. What shall I do about it?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Try restoring it through iTunes to see if it's a software bug. If that doesn't help make a genius bar appointment at your nearest Apple Store and get it checked out there.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Have you let it fully die? Seems like the calibration might be off.

4. Gatto37 thread starter macrumors newbie

[
    Thanks! I'll contact apple support if I run out of all possible solutions.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    Thanks, good idea! I am working on it!

5. alvesik macrumors member

alvesik

I have a lot of experience with battery issues (sadly). What kind of charger are you using? If your charger's legitimacy is questionable, it most likely doesn't know how to float charge which means overcharging and that can easily mess up battery cells.
    If the restoration doesn't work out and you're using a safe charger, I might suggest battery diagnostic software. I had the pleasure of seeing just how messed up my iPhone 5 battery was thanks to ibackup bot which is a free OS X app that I downloaded online not off the App Store (not sure if it's on App Store.) It is questionable looking but I have been using it for over a year and had no issues so I think it's legit. Anyway it has an information section that provides battery health information (I am including a picture of what it will tell you.)
    If you want to spend 4 dollars for convenience, download the iOS battery health app in the App Store. It will show you cycle count, max charge capacity, current system reported battery charge and actual battery charge (actual and system can vary A LOT) and even detect whether or not a charger is Apple certified.
    Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions because I know way more about this than I ever would have liked to learn.

Attached Files:

6. Gatto37 thread starter macrumors newbie

I' am using the original charger provided with the phone. Couple of times though I used my iPad air charger. (Maybe the iPad's charger messed up the cycle.) Anyway I"ve discharged the phone until it turned itself off. Then I plugged it in with the original apple charger for the night and in the morning it was on 100% so it worked so far but I keep an eye on the issue. Thanks for the good advice!

7. alvesik macrumors member

alvesik

Glad things are working out now! And just FYI using your iPad Air charger is fine. iPhone batteries can use any charger 10 V or less and I'm not sure what the iPad Air comes with (I think it's 5, I know the original iPad came with a 10, but it certainly would not exceed 10 V. Only charger you might encounter which is more than that is the new iPad Pro charger which is 12 V.

8. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Those are wattage ratings, not voltage. All of the chargers are 5V with different maximum currents. You can safely use any of the Apple chargers with any Apple device (the device regulates the current and will never draw more power than it can handle). The iPhone will only draw 5W, even if connected to a 12W charger. You even safely connect your iPhone to the 29W Retina MacBook charger if you have the right cable

9. alvesik macrumors member

alvesik

Good to know. Thanks

10. Gatto37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I think I have found out the possible cause of the charging issue! When I started to charge my iPad with the very same lighting cable that came with the iphone, It turned out that the iPad battery charging indicator did the same thing! It stucked, and would not update Over 77% After that I replaced the cable with a spear one and it worked perfectly like before. So the lighting cable might have been the problem for the whole time! I'm relieved! :)