iPhone 6S Compass/Gyro Problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slybit, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Slybit macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I was checking out the supermoon eclipse last night and using both Sky Guide and Star Walk 2.

The strangest thing happened.

Neither app on my new iPhone 6S would properly align the with the moon location in the sky. I had an old iPhone 5 with both apps and they worked perfectly.

I did all the usual things, made sure calibration was on in system location services, made sure both apps had permissions to location, and did a hard reboot (hold home and lock) several times.

No luck. Do you think I've got defective hardware?

2. Robeckhard macrumors member

I had the same issue last night using Sky Guide. It kept making me spin around and would locate properly. Maps and everything else work though.

3. Slybit thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, sounds like exactly the same problem. Maps seem to work fine, even the compass was a little off from my old iPhone 5, but not crazy off like Sky Guide and Star Walk 2.

4. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Yup. The compass works fine for me, but everything that calls that API is borked. It thinks you're always pointing somewhat northerly. I'm assuming the implementation of the API is different on the 6S, and the app makers will need to update, or the iOS 9 call from that API is borked, in which case, a fix from apple should work. In any case, I don't think the hardware is faulty since the compass app works like it should, but the third party apps have a problem.

I've tried with GoSkyWatch and Photo Pills (which is a nice augmented reality photo planning app).

5. Slybit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Jman13. That's really helpful. I was struggling to believe it could be the hardware if the compass worked OK and it rotated between landscape and portrait just fine.

I hope it is the API. I really didn't want to have to make another appointment at the Apple store and setup yet another new iPhone. #facepalm

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

as far as i can tell there is nothing wrong with the compass on the iPhone 6s, its just your app is old and it needs an update. i tried using the compass test on phone doctor, by Cheng Calvin / smartphone doctor , and looking at the results, i can see why you are having issues with other apps.

if the compass works using the compass app on the iPhone, then your phone is ok

if the compass does not work on apps, then you should contact the app maker

i was able to make a complete circle using apple's compass app

using phone doctor's compass diagnostics, i couldn't move the needle more then 10 degrees

7. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Looks like it.