Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Just looking to get some opinions on my situation (below), I know cracked iPhone screens are common, but I'm still befuddled by what happened and I'd like to know how to avoid it in the future. (Thanks and apologies in advance for looking at my over-long post!..)

Situation: I bought an iPhone 6s Friday at 6pm, including a screen protector and apple silicone case. Then I went out, spending various amounts of time with the phone in my front or back pocket, mostly front I think, sitting and standing. A few hours in I noticed the bottom half of the screen was shattered.

Is this what I should expect? My previous experience is weirdly mixed: I had an iPhone 5c w/o a case for 2 years, and the screen never cracked. Then I dropped it from a bicycle and though the screen was still fine, the phone broke and Apple replaced it (for a fee) with an identical 5c, which I put in a case. A bit later, the screen of the new 5c cracked; I was mystified at the time, since I couldn't recall anything unusual, but I assumed there was some unusual stress which I hadn't noticed; in retrospect it's similar to my current situation. I replaced this 5c with the 6s yesterday.

Mostly I just want to know - should I not assume my phone is safe in my pocket during "normal activities"? Have people had similar experiences? Maybe this device is just too fragile to be treated as a "normal" phone? (At least by me?) How do people carry their phones? Why however did my first phone's screen never crack? Maybe Apple switched to weaker glass at some point? My final question is if people think I can convince the Apple geniuses to give me a new screen for free, so I don't have to pay the accidental damages service charge. Thanks for any advice!

DarkSynth_

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Hi, well, first off, I'm sorry for your bad luck. I also purchased a 6s yesterday and it's been fine (so far). I bought one of the speck shell cases that I used on my old 4s and it protected that thing for three years of dropping, tripping, and crunching. I recommend you get one of these cases instead of the silicon case. In my opinion, the silicon cases are more for looks than protection. I'm pretty sure you aren't doing this but never, ever sit down with a phone in your back pocket. That's an easy way to crush your phone. You may be putting too much pressure on the screen when you sit with it in your front pocket. To be honest, your phone shouldn't be breaking at all in the first place because I think that Apple just upgraded the iPhone glasses to something more durable. Again, it's odd that the phone broke in the first place.

Your last question about convincing Apple to replace your phone for free is tricky. I'd just tell them the truth. I don't think there's anyway to get around a fee. They may have some weird 7 day or one month warranty. I don't know.

Oh, your other question about why your first phone never broke: luck.

P.S. I always sat with my 4s in my front pocket without issue. Maybe, when you sit down, instead of putting your phone in your front pocket, you can set it down on your lap or a table in front of you.

Hope I provided something useful,
Have a nice day and I hope you get your phone issue fixed.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
My final question is if people think I can convince the Apple geniuses to give me a new screen for free, so I don't have to pay the accidental damages service charge. Thanks for any advice!

If you purchased the accidental damage coverage, they'll replace the screen for the deductible, or since the phone is new they may just give you a new phone instead. Either way, good move on your part for having purchased Apple Care + in the first place.

DarkSynth_

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
If you purchased the accidental damage coverage, they'll replace the screen for the deductible, or since the phone is new they may just give you a new phone instead. Either way, good move on your part for having purchased Apple Care + in the first place.
I'm pretty sure since he/she got the brand new iPhone, they'll get some sort of deal with or without Apole Care +. Correct me if I'm wrong.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I'm pretty sure since he/she got the brand new iPhone, they'll get some sort of deal with or without Apole Care +. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It depends on the store. Sometimes you'll get a sympathetic genius who will just replace it no questions asked, but then again, it could easily go the other way. Apple has the best customer service in the industry but when it comes to user caused damage, they usually follow Apple's guidelines.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
IMO, the newer Iphones are larger, and thinner, not a good combination as far as durability is concerned. Whenever I replace my 5s, I will be buying the most rigid, protective case that I can find.

lewallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Thanks a lot to everyone for your advice and sympathy, it's highly appreciated! :)

In my opinion, the silicon cases are more for looks than protection

Indeed, the store rep who rang me up said exactly that himself. But he said it was the only 6s case in the store, and that the 6 cases might fit a bit tightly. I decided I'd use the apple case as a stopgap till I could buy a good 6s case. Not a great decision in retrospect!

never, ever sit down with a phone in your back pocket
your other question about why your first phone never broke: luck.

Right, I don't remember sitting on it, but it's possible I did. Qualitatively, I felt that I didn't treat it any worse than I treated my other phone. Luck was my default assumption as well, but I wonder if you think it's the luck of a given piece of glass being more or less durable, or the luck of the phone (not) getting into a particularly damaging position during normal carrying? The second option seems less intuitive to me, but I don't really have any idea. Maybe it's true as wproct suggests, that a larger phone does at least have a larger set of compromising positions.

Your last question about convincing Apple to replace your phone for free is tricky. I'd just tell them the truth.
Sometimes you'll get a sympathetic genius
Totally, I agree. My wording was unfortunate, I didn't mean to ask how to spin things, I guess I was just wondering if people thought this might qualify as a defect. I do imagine that the store employees will be sympathetic. Similarly to chscag, I've experienced variability between store reps in what they deem applecare to cover, but that was all a while ago. I guess I'll just have to see.

Finally, I'd be glad to hear any other sturdy-case recommendations, otherwise maybe I'll go with the speck mentioned by DarkSynth_. Thanks again!

Last edited:

lewallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Thanks, I did purchase the Applecare+. Actually, I was a bit surprised to see that a screen replacement for the 6s w/o ac+ costs $129, whereas the ac+ service fee for accidental damage to the 6s is $99. So for a broken screen the fee seems nearly identical, though of course the ac+ option includes any other damage as well. Am I understanding that correctly?

DarkSynth_

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Thanks a lot to everyone for your advice and sympathy, it's highly appreciated! :)

Indeed, the store rep who rang me up said exactly that himself. But he said it was the only 6s case in the store, and that the 6 cases might fit a bit tightly. I decided I'd use the apple case as a stopgap till I could buy a good 6s case. Not a great decision in retrospect!

Right, I don't remember sitting on it, but it's possible I did. Qualitatively, I felt that I didn't treat it any worse than I treated my other phone. Luck was my default assumption as well, but I wonder if you think it's the luck of a given piece of glass being more or less durable, or the luck of the phone (not) getting into a particularly damaging position during normal carrying? The second option seems less intuitive to me, but I don't really have any idea. Maybe it's true as wproct suggests, that a larger phone does at least have a larger set of compromising positions.

Totally, I agree. My wording was unfortunate, I didn't mean to ask how to spin things, I guess I was just wondering if people thought this might qualify as a defect. I do imagine that the store employees will be sympathetic. Similarly to chscag, I've experienced variability between store reps in what they deem applecare to cover, but that was all a while ago. I guess I'll just have to see.

Finally, I'd be glad to hear any other sturdy-case recommendations, otherwise maybe I'll go with the speck mentioned by DarkSynth_. Thanks again!
My case is one of the better ones. Most of my friends use them too. I hope it works for you!

lewallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
My case is one of the better ones. Most of my friends use them too. I hope it works for you!
Thanks! Do you have any opinion about the mightyshell vs the candyshell? My recent experience makes me instinctively want to consider the mightyshell, even if it's just advertising...

DarkSynth_

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Thanks! Do you have any opinion about the mightyshell vs the candyshell? My recent experience makes me instinctively want to consider the mightyshell, even if it's just advertising...
The candy shell is cheaper, has a nice grip, and isn't as bulky. The mighty shell is probably fine, but I wouldn't like carrying that around. The cases offer the same protection. It's your choice but I'd get a candy shell. The grip is amazing and it looks great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.